What's new

N66R shared hard drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

picklemn

New Around Here
I currently have an ASUS RT-N66R. I am upgrading to a new Netgear Orbi Mesh system. However, the new system does not have any USB ports for my shared hard drive that I currently have on the N66R.

I will be moving to a NAS later in the year but I want to continue to use my USB hard drive until then.

Here is what I was thinking and I hope I can some comments on whether or not this will work or whether or not it is a good temporary solution.

I was thinking about disabling the Radio for the N66R and just using it as a switch with the hard drive connected and connect the switch to my new network.

Will I still be able to access the hard drive like normal?

If not what are other possible solutions that anyone can think of.

Thanks for your help and input.

That may work when setting as a Media Bridge or AP mode? You'll need to test that.

Or, you may have to just use the USB drive directly on each computer as needed.

A NAS is required sooner, rather than later, in other words. ;)

That may work when setting as a Media Bridge or AP mode? You'll need to test that.

Or, you may have to just use the USB drive directly on each computer as needed.

A NAS is required sooner, rather than later, in other words. ;)
I agree on the sooner rather than later part. I am going through the debate on whether to buy or build one which is a topic for another forum.

I would say buy one today that fits your data and current needs. Possibly build one later, if you think you can do better and cheaper. Remember, time is money too. :)