1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

N66U 2.4Ghz issue solved on my MacBook - Portable Harddrive

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by SteveVon, Jul 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SteveVon

SteveVon New Around Here

Hi all - I have an N66U router and its been playing havoc for the last day or two with not connecting to the 2.4GHZ:(, the 5GHZ is fine. Tried everything!! Reboot, restart, channels, power etc etc

I have just disconnected my Toshiba portable hard drive thought USB 3.0 - my time machine - bingo all he channels are back and happy. I'm amazed that this was the issue.

Hope this helps someone - somewhere :)

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

USB3.0 interference is a well known issue for 2.4G Wifi.

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Known issue. USB 3.0 interferes with the 2.4GHz band when the port, cable, and device are not all properly shielded.

You should be able to use the drive in the USB 2.0 port. ;)

4. SteveVon

SteveVon New Around Here

Ohh - I have those USB C type ports - maybe some are 2.0 - I'll check - this is a great forum. Someone mentioned 3.0. Unplugged and sorted \:)

L&LD likes this.
  5. SteveVon

SteveVon New Around Here

No its all USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Its probably the hard drive that's whining as all other devices seem to work ok.

6. L&LD

If you have the option in your firmware, you should also be able to disable USB 3.0 mode on the USB 3.0 port. That will also solve the issue. :)

7. L&LD

I'm talking about the actual ports on the router, not on the device itself. :)