1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

N66U - Only 150mbps link rate on 5ghz

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by shobhitk, Jul 17, 2018.

1. shobhitk

shobhitk Regular Contributor

Hi everyone,
    I am using 5ghz on N66U and getting full 450mbps link rate on all channels available to me on this band. However there are these 2 channels on 5ghz, if on which i connect, i get a link rate speed of only 150mbps! They are channel no. 36 and 40.

Can anyone please elaborate as to what is happening in these 2 channels? Also do different channels have different speed limits?

PS: Channel bonding is set to 40mhz.

2. Sinner

Sinner Senior Member

Interference? Any other 5ghz routers in the area on those channels?

3. shobhitk

None. I have checked that.

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Sounds like a single stream client adapter...

5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

But he says he's getting 450Mbps on all channels apart from 36 and 40, so it must be a 3 stream client. Would RFI on those channels make it work like a single stream device?

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Reported speed capability from the router/AP vs. client capabilities?

3-stream clients are not very common, and OP did not mention the client adapter type - 150 does look like a single stream client pending the ID of the client adapter.

7. shobhitk

i am receiving 450mbps on all other channels (ie. on the client side). btw on 36 and 40 the link rate switches between 150 and 180mbps.

seems like interference but what could cause so much of it so as to severely attenuate the signal?

8. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

Please tell us what client adapter you are using.

Are you using a site survey feature on your wireless router to check for other networks on channels 36 and 40? The router may have more receive sensitivity than a client so it might see evidence of other networks and drop the bandwidth down. You might not see the same networks when checking from another device like a phone.