What's new

N66u setting up AP problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

born2ride

Occasional Visitor
I set my main N66u router as 192.168.1.1 , IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.1.6--254
Second router set to AP mode with ip as 192.168.1.2 .
I ran the cable from main router port 3 to second router port 1.
I have no internet access on the second router set to AP. I cannot seem to figure out why!!
Both routers running 380.68 merlin.. Any thoughts on what i am doing wrong??

Second router
ip address 192.168.1.2
subnet 255.255.255,0
default gateway 192.168.1.1

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_3136.JPG
    IMG_3136.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
I was under impression the wan ports are number 1,2,3,4 and the lan port is by itself . Is this correct? If so the should be in a wan port then.

I was under impression the wan ports are number 1,2,3,4 and the lan port is by itself . Is this correct? If so the should be in a wan port then.
No you have it the wrong way around. There a 4 LAN (local network) ports and 1 WAN (internet) port.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

Plug into the 'blue' port on the AP. Also I believe that the LAN ports are not supported when running in AP mode (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, I've never tried AP mode for other than wireless).
Ok i will move to blue and try that tomorrow, In the guide you linked to shows the set up of the AP both IP and default gateway having same address (192.168.1.1) how come?

The main router is 192.168.1.1 , how can another one have same ip address?

In your main router you need to create a static IP for your AP router and the connection between the two should be a LAN port of Main router to a LAN port of AP, not the WAN port. I have RT-AC68P as main router and RT-AC56U as AP connected to each other via ethernet cable and my setup works perfectly.

If i connect to the blue port on AP router the whole network shuts down, if I reboot and try the other ports on AP router ,it never connects to internet ,main router does not see it , can not access router page. I have assigned the correct ip address of the AP in main router.

Ok i will move to blue and try that tomorrow, In the guide you linked to shows the set up of the AP both IP and default gateway having same address (192.168.1.1) how come?

The main router is 192.168.1.1 , how can another one have same ip address?
The addresses are 'greyed' out since they are setting up for the AP to get it's address via DHCP from the main router.

If i connect to the blue port on AP router the whole network shuts down, if I reboot and try the other ports on AP router ,it never connects to internet ,main router does not see it , can not access router page. I have assigned the correct ip address of the AP in main router.

You can set a fixed IP address on the N66 before you select AP mode (at least in John's Fork). And be sure that you really select Access Point mode.

I use:

Main router = AC68, 192.168.1.1, Ethernet cable from LAN port (yellow) to the WAN port (blue) of the N66.

Access point = N66, static address 192.168.1.2. All of its LAN ports, and WiFi, have worked for over a year and provide speeds greater the 135Mbps (my ISP's cap).

I have definitely set router to AP mode and ip address to 192.168.1.2 , main router create a static IP for my AP router . I picked this up used wondering if there is an issue with it.
IMG_3136 (1).JPG
IMG_3134 (1).JPG

The only significant differences I see are that my WPA2 encryption is on, and "Connect to DNS Server automatically" is "Yes."

You have connect to DNS server automatically set to No, but you didn't provide any DNS servers to use. This means the AP router cannot contact the NTP server and set the time, and a bunch of other services may not work correctly because of that. Set that to Yes or provide the router address 192.168.1.1

You have connect to DNS server automatically set to No, but you didn't provide any DNS servers to use. This means the AP router cannot contact the NTP server and set the time, and a bunch of other services may not work correctly because of that. Set that to Yes or provide the router address 192.168.1.1

I did not know what was meant by DNS server, I thought when I selected yes It wanted a value and I did not know what to input , will recheck when I get home!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!