What's new

N66U upgrade AC time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Packrobottom

New Around Here
I'm running an N66U with merlin for years now it's been stable and good. Most of the devices in my house are now AC. (couple laptops, couple media streamers and a few smart phones.)

I live in a 1 story house with a 65mbps connection. Near the back sliding door and into the backyard wifi gets spotty. I'm looking to upgrade to an AC router with better range both 5g and 2.4 than my N66U. Preferably Asus but I'm open to other brands. Looking to spend 150 bucks or less.

I've been looking at the AC66U B1 thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've been looking at the AC66U B1 thoughts are greatly appreciated.

prob the worst of the ac routers coverage wise , why bother upgrading if you not going to get something better , start at the asus rt-ac88u and work up , the rt-ac3100 prob has the best coverage

Asus AC68U/Netgear R7000/Linksys WRT1900AC should all be pretty good. The AC66UB1 infact is pretty much an AC68U with a different housing, from what RMerlin said, so it should be fine, also it's only about $100 which is nice.

prob the worst of the ac routers coverage wise , why bother upgrading if you not going to get something better , start at the asus rt-ac88u and work up , the rt-ac3100 prob has the best coverage

He's referring to the new RT-AC66U_B1, which is in fact an RT-AC68U but in an RT-AC66U case. I'd expect wifi performance of the AC66U_B1 to be pretty similar to the RT-AC68U/AC1900.

ok I've narrowed down to AC66U_B1 or the rt3100. is the coverage going to be substantially better for the additional money.

It's diminishing returns with the price point of the 3100, I'd get the AC66UB1.

I don't mind spending the extra money but if the range is the same I'd be bummed. if someone here has experience with it having better coverage that would be enough for me

I don't mind spending the extra money but if the range is the same I'd be bummed. if someone here has experience with it having better coverage that would be enough for me

the wav2 rt-ac3100 certainly give better coverage when compared to the wave 1 1300M stuff , most wave 1 stuff leaves a few black spots around my house , but most of the newer wave 2 stuff i have tested covers the entire house and no black spots , so there is a noticeable difference