What's new

Naming aimesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xulian

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a setup with 3 nodes and only main one is able to set a name within the LAN device name section. Others keep the device model name as defaults.

Any chance to assign my own device names there so I can access them other way than IP mode?

thanks

Hi,

I have a setup with 3 nodes and only main one is able to set a name within the LAN device name section. Others keep the device model name as defaults.

Any chance to assign my own device names there so I can access them other way than IP mode?

thanks

You can name it anything you like. Not much for you to manually configure though.

ad6df3824dff8cbd22a3d2e4c45b18ba.jpg

Thanks @Striker317 ... but that's the location, isn't it? I was looking for something like a name I can use to access any kind of server thru their url

I'm trying with dnsmasq and added a line in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add with this content

Code:
address=/my_host_name/192.168.1.X

being 192.168.1.X the address router assign to the aimesh station. But it doesn't work, my_host_name is't resolved to its address. And file is properly processed as I have other configurations there and they are ok.

Just add them to the static DHCP leases, no need for custom scripting.

Thanks Merlin... you are right as always. Thing is that aimesh nodes aren't listed in the devices list there and I thought I couldn't add them, but yes, their mac can be entered and in fact recognized by their asus default names.

For the original query - you can change individual devices from the Asus app. Select the device you want to rename, then change it under System Settings -> Nickname.

Attachments

• Wifi-name.png
    Wifi-name.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 699
is it only possible to change nicknames from the "app"? also about locations, how to add new locations to the list ? seems i am unable to find it :)

Thanks Merlin... you are right as always. Thing is that aimesh nodes aren't listed in the devices list there and I thought I couldn't add them, but yes, their mac can be entered and in fact recognized by their asus default names.
Use the node mac address and add it to the reserved IP address list. It works!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!