1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

NAS Recommendation for streaming - Qnap / Synology

Discussion in 'NAS Buying Advice' started by Roberto AF, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Roberto AF

Roberto AF New Around Here

Hello there!

I need a NAS thats going to work as a file/media server for Kodi or Plex (NO transcode needed), and also for smartphone backup.

Budget would be around 200$.

Im between Synology 218J and QNAP TS131. Qnap has a better hardware (1GB ram vs 512).

Any of those would do the job? Or would i need a better CPU?

Thanks for the attention and sorry for the bad english (im not from USA).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Either will do a decent job - so comes down to availability and pricing.

4. SickOfResetting

SickOfResetting New Around Here

QNAP by a mile

5. dfarning

dfarning Occasional Visitor

Be prepared to upgrade. I started with a Qnap 131 for serving media. After about a year that little NAS became the most important device on the network; media server, storage server, backup server, torrent server.... If your needs grow, the QNAP 251+ with a DIY 16G memory upgrade is a workhorse.

Jose C likes this.
  6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Will Kodi run on the NAS, or on a HTPC? If it's running on the NAS, don't go below 2 GB RAM.

Personally I use an Asustor AS5004T as both my NAS and my media center (running Kodi and hooking it to my TV's HDMI). Its Celeron J1800 is more than adequate for all the media content I've thrown at it so far (mostly DVD rips, I don't have a BD-ROM in my PC to rip my BD movies). So as long you go with anything better than an Atom you should be fine, unless you rip BD at very high quality levels.

ma678 and sfx2000 like this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!