What's new

NAS Recommendation for streaming - Qnap / Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roberto AF

New Around Here
Hello there!

I need a NAS thats going to work as a file/media server for Kodi or Plex (NO transcode needed), and also for smartphone backup.

Budget would be around 200$.

Im between Synology 218J and QNAP TS131. Qnap has a better hardware (1GB ram vs 512).

Any of those would do the job? Or would i need a better CPU?

Thanks for the attention and sorry for the bad english (im not from USA).

Last edited:
Either will do a decent job - so comes down to availability and pricing.

Be prepared to upgrade. I started with a Qnap 131 for serving media. After about a year that little NAS became the most important device on the network; media server, storage server, backup server, torrent server.... If your needs grow, the QNAP 251+ with a DIY 16G memory upgrade is a workhorse.

Will Kodi run on the NAS, or on a HTPC? If it's running on the NAS, don't go below 2 GB RAM.

Personally I use an Asustor AS5004T as both my NAS and my media center (running Kodi and hooking it to my TV's HDMI). Its Celeron J1800 is more than adequate for all the media content I've thrown at it so far (mostly DVD rips, I don't have a BD-ROM in my PC to rip my BD movies). So as long you go with anything better than an Atom you should be fine, unless you rip BD at very high quality levels.