What's new

NAS server on private network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A

Asish Binu Mathew

Hey,
I am new here .
I have two access points on my network. One is for my personal use and the other is for others(frnds and stuff)
I am planning to setup a NAS server. SO when I set up the nas server I don't want people connected to my guest access point finding the server. P.S I use the guest access point for lan gaming so AP isolation won't work.

You have provided absolutely no information about your wireless access points or NAS server. :rolleyes: Make/model?

For example, on Asus routers you can set the guest network's "Access Intranet" to No.

You have provided absolutely no information about your wireless access points or NAS server. :rolleyes: Make/model?

For example, on Asus routers you can set the guest network's "Access Intranet" to No.
Hey thanks for the reply. But I am not concerned about any specific model right now. I need to know whether this is possible or not. Anyway I will be using
D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router

I need to know whether this is possible or not.
Yes it's possible with the right equipment, but it depends on your physical setup. As I said, it can be done with a single Asus wireless router. If you want to connect another access point then you'd probably need something like a pfSense box instead.

Anyway I will be using D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router
As far as I can tell the D-Link doesn't support guest networks so I don't know how you're doing it at the moment unless you have two separate D-Links.

or if all the lan boxes support vlans. Search here to find how to setup a guest vlan to isolate your intranet.

What isn't clear from your post is how the APs are configured today? What is the point of different APs for your use vs friends use if they drop to the same VLAN?

From what I can tell from your post, you want Layer3 isolation so you can have granular control over what the guests can access on your personal LAN. You don't want full isolation since you mentioned you want to be able to do LAN gaming, but you want to keep the guests out of your NAS and other personal services.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online