What's new

NAS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john32073

New Around Here
Hello
I am looking at two NAS Servers.
The QNAP TS 251+ It Has the HDMI port and upgradable memory plus a lot of features. I was fixing to buy it when I ran upon the new
Synology DS218+ The + one has an eSATA port where as the DS218 doesn't. I really like the esata port but it has not got HDMI
What advantage is having an HDMI over not having it?
I know I will use esata a whole lot
This unit will be used mainly asmy cloud storage for my family and not be accessed 90 percent of the time
I will be using Plex server as time go forward
This will be my First NAS Server
I have a fault of always Over doing things, I feel as I might be doing that now making this more completed than it need to be

What advantage is having an HDMI over not having it?

Do you intend to plug it to a TV to run graphical applications? If not, then you can just dismiss the HDMI feature.

In the past, it was mostly used to run Kodi, however most NAS manufacturers stopped supporting Kodi earlier this year for legal reasons.

Maybe later the QNAP ts 251 best I can figure is to use the HDMI NAS Outlet port to hook straight to the TV. Right now I do not have a Plex server set up, all that i would do is stream some tv or movies off amazon or nextflix

Do you intend to plug it to a TV to run graphical applications? If not, then you can just dismiss the HDMI feature.

In the past, it was mostly used to run Kodi, however most NAS manufacturers stopped supporting Kodi earlier this year for legal reasons.

There's always Plex....

I am going with the Qnap 251+

You probably can't go wrong with either of them. Personally I'm only familiar with QNAP so that's what I recommend, however in terms of quality, support, performance and features, Synology and QNAP are both at the top of the food chain (with smaller players like Thecus, Asustor just below, and WD/Seagate/Lacie at the bottom of the chain).