What's new

NAS solution needed for connection to Networked TV & Fast PC Backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kwak750turbo

New Around Here
I’ll first start with the fact i am new to Network Attached Storage, but would like to get to grips with it as i think it’s the best solution for what i need. I’ve done as much groundwork as i can to hopefully save a lot of explanations...

My TV (a Samsung UE46D7000LU) is able to play a wide variety of video files, but it known to be very fussy with external hard drives / flash drives. I have a lot of HD video content archived on my 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium PC (Gigabit LAN) that i would like to play on the TV and this plays fine through my home network, but i don’t want to have my PC switched on guzzling power to do this. My TV will see a DNLA certified NAS so i have decided this would be a better solution.

I also want the NAS to be a backup drive for my main PC that currently has 1.5Tb storage capacity but i eventually intend to expand this to between 4Tb and 6TB. Currently i backup my data to a 1Tb Seagate Freeagent External hard drive through an Esata 3Gbs connection, so ideally I’d prefer to not have to drop the speed at which i’m able to do this.

My knowledge of networking is pretty limited, so i don’t know if i was backing up over the network if it would affect the internet connection speed of other attached devices that are attached to the Router such as my PC, my TV and a 2nd Win XP PC. My current router (Netgear DG834PN has 4x 10/100 Mbps LAN ports. This is why i’m looking at additional ways that the NAS could backup contents on my my main PC such as ESATA of USB3 (the 2nd PC is unlikely to have much data to backup and could be done over the network). Maybe I should also be looking at a new Router that supports Gigabit LAN or an alternative setup?

To reduce power consumption I don’t want the NAS switched on all the time, i’d prefer it only on when i want to backup my PC & when i want to access the video files through my TV.

I also want the option of being able to remove the NAS and take it to a friends house to share large amounts of data quickly (eg 500Gb), am i right in thinking that doing this using an ethernet cable would be faster than my current options (USB2 and Firewire) since no-one i know has ESATA or USB3 yet?

I have also read in a review on ‘The Reg Hardware’ the TV has issues with streaming MKV content from a NAS, but can be rectified if the NAS runs a version of the Twonky media server that supports Samsung TV’s. Do all NAS’s have the ability to run this software?

Initially i only intend to have a single hard drive (Maybe 2.5TB) in the NAS box but i want the option to add a 2nd hard drive (possibly a different size to the one already installed) at a later date to expand the capacity of the backup drive(4-6TB) So want a 2-Bay version.

It’s pretty far down the list of needs but the ability to access files remotely over the net from another PC would be nice and security of data would need to be good, obviously.

Should i be looking at something like a QNAP TS-212 NAS or the TS-219P+ ?

Andy.