What's new

NAS through Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drlawsoniii

New Around Here
I'm relatively new to home networking. I've run into an issue with my RT-AC86U where all the sudden after 2 years of seeing my hard drive that's plugged into the the USB port on the back of my router, it is no longer detected by any of my televisions. I can access it on my computer if I map the drive. This was done with the factory firmware, and when this issue started, I tried factory resetting the router, to no avail. I thought maybe if I went with the latest stable merlin firmware this might resolve my issue, as of yet it has not. For reference I have one tv hardwired and the other using wifi, I've tried both the 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports of the router, and I have tried a flash drive in both ports as well. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for me or other suggestions?

There is no NAS through router. USB can be used for light file sharing only. Router instability, negative effect on Wi-Fi and data/drive corruption are usual complaints. If you need NAS - get a real NAS. The router is not the right place to plug your HDD in. Most users realize that only when they lose data.

I think it's more likely the media server that made the files available on the TVs.
If the harddrive is formatted as NTFS and has a filesystem error then the miniDLNA server will just fail without any warning while samba will still serve files to PCs and the like.
If it is ntfs then safely remove it through the ui, plug it into a pc and back everything up then run a file system check on it - allow Windows to repair it. While you have direct access you can delete the minidlna folder so the media server rebuilds it's data from scratch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!