What's new

NAS with AD and Shadow Copies - iSCSI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nonprofit

Occasional Visitor
My organization is very reliant on Microsoft AD/NTFS and shadow copies.

There seem to be lots of NAS options out there with AD integration solutions, but how about shadow copies?

I am not looking for something similar to shadow copies, no I am wondering if there are any NAS solutions that implement the actual shadow copies.

For example, I am reading up on iSCSI. My understanding is that if I attach a NAS to a Windows server via iSCSI, it will appear as a drive on that server. Will it also act like a drive on that server? If, so that would seem to suggest NTFS permission and shadow copies would work.

But is that how it works?

If not, is there any consensus out there for folks who need to add network storage to Windows domains?

You are correct, drives attached via iSCSI show up just like any other physical drive in your Windows Server. Once the drive is formatted to NTFS I am pretty sure what you are talking about will work.

00Roush