What's new

NAT acceleration yet again - FA specifically

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

^Tripper^

Hi everyone. I’ve searched this topic and as far as I can tell, FA seems like voodoo. It recently seems to have just disappeared.

I realise that one has to turn off QOS, STP. That enables CTF and I do have that running, but no FA.

Consensus seems to be not to worry about FA as CTF is more then sufficient. I agree but am just wondering what actually happened to FA and if anyone is seeing it actually run on their setup. I am certain it I had it running many moons ago but no longer.

I’m on the AC87u running merlin’s 384.5. Again, nothing essential or show stopping, just trying to learn and understand.

Thank you!

1. Some models don't have FA.

2. Some versions of the same model don't have FA.

3. There are many options which disable FA (such as TrendMicro protection, web filtering at router level -- AB-Solution and SkyNet are OK, though).

On my old 68U I noticed that FA disappeared with the 384 branch of the firmware. I flashed back to the 380 branch and it was there again. And as you mentioned, CTF is generally sufficient. I was able to get WAN<>LAN speeds of 940 Mbps with only CTF enabled on my B1 revision 68U.

Edit: This was back around the first of the year when the 384 branch had just surfaced. I don't have the 68U anymore so I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.

Perhaps the removal of FA with the 384 branch had something to do with AiMesh????

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I’ve searched this topic and as far as I can tell, FA seems like voodoo. It recently seems to have just disappeared.

I saw mentions to flow acceleration in the CFE (bootloader).
Starting with 384.5+, the CFE was updated.
I think the CFE also sets default nvram variables?

It could be the CFE update disabled flow acceleration.

I know Asus trying to squash bugs with the new firmware.
I could compare before and after nvram variables, and see if one regarding flow acceleration was removed.

But if Asus removed it, they probably had a good reason.