What's new

NAT Filtering: Open vs. Secured on Netgear Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JB426

New Around Here
Does anyone have an explanation on what the difference is for this on these routers. I have the X8 R8500 and as many of you know there are check boxes to select Open or Secured under NAT Filtering. I can't really find a definitive answer anywhere. The reason I ask is I have two Xbox Ones on this router that get used at the same time. I do get an open NAT on both Xboxes. However, I do not get an open NAT on both for Black Ops 3 only. I have read that some people have had success getting the NAT to be open on more than one Xbox with NAT Filtering set to Open, for Black Ops 3, but I didn't want to compromise any necessary security either. Thanks.

My understanding is that NAT is basically your router firewall, leaving it open would compromise the security of your whole LAN. I always have it on secure, which I think is the default factory setting.

If you do not have multiple addresses that can be assigned routes assigned to the ISP for all devices on your internal network, you must use NAT. If you are using NAT open, you allow traffic that is initiated by an external device to establish a connection with your internal devices. This is not good. Here is a guide that i got and might be it is helpful to others. https://www.vpnranks.com/nat-filtering/

Last edited:
Yeah I researched this as well for few hours and it is your routers firewall, changing it to open is opening all your ports.