What's new

Need a good layer 2 Cisco switch with POE+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I need a good Cisco layer 2 switch with a couple of ports that has POE+ ,IEEE 802.3at Ethernet switch. I just figured out my old injectors do not work with my new Cisco WAP371 wireless access points. I have the SB-PWR-INJ1 injectors and I need SB-PWR-INJ2 injectors. The new SB-PWR-INJ2 injectors cost about $70 apiece so I think is time to buy another small switch.

I am looking for a Cisco switch not at end-of-life and a small business version so I do not need to buy IOS.
Anybody running one?

Just looking around it looks like my options are the SG300-10pp or SG300-10MPP. Did I miss one?

I just found the SG350-10MP. It is a newer model. I wonder if it has a faster processor?

I found the SG250-10P series. Lots of new switches.

Now I found the SG355-10P. I wonder how the SG355-10P is different?

Last edited:
Just get cheaper higher power third party injectors. works fine with WAP371. Several networking gear manufacturers make them.

If you live anywhere near a Microcenter, just head there and ask them for some POE+ options. They should have injectors as well as switches that should meet your needs. I'm sure there are other local stores you can try...maybe...depends where you live...or there is always Amazon. Look at the other consumer/prosumer brands like Netgear, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, TRENDnet...all of them sell fairly inexpensive injectors and/or switches.

I bought a Cisco SG300-10MPP switch. They are starting to discount them now. I bought it new for $206 shipped. I think it will provide all the POE power I will need to run 3 WAP371 wireless APs.

The SG300 series is a pretty good product, but I suspect it would be EOL soon since the rest of the sg300 line was EOL last year. I think the sg250 is just a slight RAM upgrade on the sg200, which is a good switch if you don't mind not having console access.

Hopefully if it goes EOL then I can still run it as just a layer 2 switch POE+.

I would like to have a SG350 switch to play with in layer 3 mode but they are still pricey in POE+ forum for me.

PS
My SG300-28 is still not EOL yet. It maybe Cisco EOL the POE versions not the regular switch or POE+ versions.

For home, I don't mind running EOL switches, espeically from cisco, hp, etc, because they will last forever. My lab is all EOL hardware to save on costs.

For home, I don't mind running EOL switches, espeically from cisco, hp, etc, because they will last forever. My lab is all EOL hardware to save on costs.

Yea, switches are probably not a problem when EOL. I don't want any outside EOL devices like routers and wireless devices since hacks get discovered all the time. You just never know. It is best to have software support for outside devices.

I have probably 15 or more old Cisco routers and switches. All 100 meg and T1 stuff. There might be some 10 meg and 56K. I don't use them any more. I used them for my CCNA training many many years ago.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!