What's new

Need a new Asus router- need a suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That depends on your specific requirements. For example, there's no point buying an AX-type router if you only have a few AC clients and no plans for that to change in the near future. Personally, I'd be looking at the RT-AC86U or maybe the RT-AX88U.

That depends on your specific requirements. For example, there's no point buying an AX-type router if you only have a few AC clients and no plans for that to change in the near future. Personally, I'd be looking at the RT-AC86U or maybe the RT-AX88U.

I'll second the RT-AC86U suggestion. I got one specifically because it supports hardware VPN acceleration and it massively sped up my VPN connections over my old router. As well, I find it has really great coverage in my house. They can also routinely be found on sale.

I cannot rely on an Asus router to do the udp client encrypt/decrypt. My RT-AC68U does not have enough cpu hz to do the ookola speedtest and match Fios 100/100Mps internet connection. I use instead my RT-AC68U as an AP and connect to a pfsense router based on a i3-7350K CPU @ 4.20GHz (16G DDR4 ram) which also includes surricata, squid, reverse proxy and ad-blocking. The cpu gets up to 50% CPU usuage.

If your AC68u is working fine and you only use it as an AP - why upgrade? Do you require 802.11ax?

I also would have thought an AC68u would handle a 100/100 line just fine. Even running OpenVPN.

Can rtac86u and above do verified 100Mps vpn and surricata, squid, reverse proxy and ad-blocking simultaneously?
If you plan to use all of them together, then using pfsense is way to go. Since additional processing on each packet is required.

Last edited:
My 86u manages 250mbps up and down on a 1 gig symmetrical line. Seems to be the max for that router using OpenVPN.

Want to examine my options for upgrade. No requirement for 802.11ax.
So... your current AP performs fine, you don't need the extra CPU power and you don't need 802.11ax. I honestly can't recommend you to spend money on an "upgrade" as in your situation, it isn't gonna be one.

If you're that eager to get rid of some money, I'll take it off your hands.

Hardware accrelation for vpn is included in rtac86u and above. In ac68u cpu is doing all the work.
Once again - I would have said an AC68u would handle a 100/100 line just fine, even through OpenVPN.

No, an RT-AC68U is good for 30 to 50 Mbps, depending what else is enabled in addition to OpenVPN.

My 86u manages 250mbps up and down on a 1 gig symmetrical line. Seems to be the max for that router using OpenVPN.

It is more likely it is all the the VPN provider can handle.

I get the same VPN speeds on an AC86 as I get using either a PC with a I7 processor or a VPN appliance with a I7 processor. There are limits to what a VPN provider can offer for $4 - $7 per month and still make a profit.

My RT-AC68U does not have enough cpu hz to do the ookola speedtest and match Fios 100/100Mps internet connection.
It sure will if not burdened by too many other tasks -- see attached from my "200Mbps" connection.

230Mbps.png