What's new

Need a router - at least 10 MB WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rhymester

New Around Here
Hello!

I'm looking for a new router and I hope some nice people around here will help me :).
I currently have an Edimax Br-6104k Router. The only problem is that this router limits my WAN/Internet speed to 2.5 MB (real MB). My actual speed on internet without router is ~10 MB.

I'm looking for a cheap router that has 4 lan and 1 wan (this is enough for me) but which has AT LEAST 10 real MB on WAN (if it has more it's better). My connection is PPPoE.

A friend recommanded me NetGear WNR2000. Do you think it is worth? Or there are better options? And another question, if my computers are using 10/100 lans that means the maximum speed I can get is ~12.5 MB?
I do not have too much knowledge in routers domain. Thank you.

Are you talking MBytes/second or Mbits/second? (Big B is Bytes).

Hit the Router Charts and you'll see just about all current-generation routers can provide > 10 Mbps up and download. Many can also do > 80 Mbps (10 MB/s).

And yes, with a 100 Mbps connection, maximum speed is 12.5 MB/s in each direction.

Well, yeah..I'm talking about big MB so I need smth like 80 Mbps = 10MB.

Hmm after some study I think WRT120N is the cheaper one I can get. NetGear WNR2000 is also nice but it's a little more expensive, at least in my country. Any suggestions?

Last edited: