What's new

Need a Smart Wifi Plug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
My wife bought a TP-Link Smart Wifi plug. When it arrived I looked at it and told her it will not work as we don't support 2.4GHz. I need 5GHz as I don't run 2.4 GHz any more. Does anybody use one of these? I need 5GHz and echo support.

My wife bought a TP-Link Smart Wifi plug. When it arrived I looked at it and told her it will not work as we don't support 2.4GHz. I need 5GHz as I don't run 2.4 GHz any more. Does anybody use one of these? I need 5GHz and echo support.
What is "echo support".
Manfs usually for cheapest WiFi in these products, which means 1x1 2.4 GHz N. At least they're not using 11g!

I bought a TechToo USB ACWiFi adapter through Amazon for $18. Supports a link rate of 433 Mbps on the AC band. Very small with a low profile.

Works fine and it was easy to setup on an old laptop running W10.

I have no idea what echo support is so I can't tell you if it has that "feature".

Echo is Amazon's Alexa voice control. My wife uses it every day.

Sorry about the confusion on my part on what you are looking for.

Look at the D-Link DSP-W215 WiFi Smart Plug. Specs say it will work with Echo however I don't know if it operates on 5Ghz N or AC.

No experience with this device as all my devices use Z-wave.

why would you need a "smart" plug? There are already smart devices to control the things in the house automatically and your phone already shows you the weather.

I live in an old home originally built in 1930s. No smarts in my house. My wife wants to be able to control devices in the house using Alexa and her iPhone.

I just thought maybe we don't need WIFI and we could just use POE directly to automate home devices. Are there any POE devices which can control lights and such? Alexa could issue Ethernet requests and the devices would work across POE. I think this would make the device even cheaper because no wireless needs to built in to the device.

I just thought maybe we don't need WIFI and we could just use POE directly to automate home devices. Are there any POE devices which can control lights and such? Alexa could issue Ethernet requests and the devices would work across POE. I think this would make the device even cheaper because no wireless needs to built in to the device.

Not POE, but perhaps HomePlug GreenPHY...

http://www.homeplug.org/explore-homeplug/smart-home/

The thing about POE is it is easy as all the smart devices run off 110v so they are already connected to your local power system. No need to add wireless to the smart devices. Hopefully this will keep the price down. This idea of mine only requires one POE device connected to your local network to bridge the gap between your local Ethernet and your wall pugs.

PS
If you want security for your home network just create a VLAN for your POE device and add your security to the VLAN.

The thing about POE is it is easy as all the smart devices run off 110v so they are already connected to your local power system.

Don't confused POE with PLC... POE is 44VDC...

The HomePlug platform is PLC, like G.Hn...

I am not sure about HomePlug but it looks proprietary. I would think reading an Ethernet packet would be simpler. You just need to bridge from a LAN and a plug to the power wiring. Security can be handled by existing LAN technology.

PS
You are right senior moment.

Last edited: