What's new

Need advice about buying new wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NWRanger

New Around Here
Can anybody suggest a new longer range wireless router for my apartment building? I would like to get the apartment’s 2.4 GHz wireless into my apartment, but the signal is too weak. I'm going to try to persuade the apartment building I live in to purchase a new wireless router that has a longer range. The one we are presently using is the Netgear N600 WNDR3400V3. As many of you no doubt know, this router has been around since about 2010, see this review

https://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-n600-wireless-dual-band-router-wndr3400-series/review/

I'm wondering if a newer wireless router would allow me to pick up the 2.4 GHz signal at my door, even if the speed is not super. I'm mainly interested in web surfing and email. The most speed I'd want is to stream PBS TV. I’m not a gamer. If I can get a signal at my door I can use a wifi extender to get it into my apartment. But even the streaming of PBS is not super necessary. Being able to connect to a VPN is important to me as well.

I can currently connect with my laptop at about 20-30 feet from my door, when I am in a hall and closer to the Netgear N600 (which is in the apartment building’s computer room). But I cannot get a signal at the door itself.

The router is presently on the second floor of the building and I am on the first floor. I have figured out the distance from the N600 router to my door and it is about 110 to 125 feet. But there are 3-5 building walls that the signal has to pass through. At the point in the hall I an get the signal the RSSI is -75 to 82 dBm and there are only 3-4 wall it has to pass through. Just outside my door the RSSI is -100 dBm.

Thank you,

Lone Ranger

Unfortunately, most wireless routers are already transmitting at the maximum power allowed by the FCC or other regulatory agencies we can't really recommend one as having longer range for that reason.

The WNDR3400V3 is very outdated at this point and upgrading to an 802.11ac router would likely improve speeds as long as you can pick up the signal. Look for a router with

I would suggest that you take steps to improve the wireless connection on your end as well. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a new wireless adapter with big antennas. This might plug into your computer through USB.

You could also consider buying a wireless router which can be configured as a wireless bridge providing wired access to your devices. I believe that most ASUS router support bridge mode out of the box: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114552/

the old router has a 2x2 (two antenna) configuration. A bigger router might have 3x3 or 4x4 configuration, which might eke out a bit more speed. emphasis on might.

How far is it from your apartment to the computer room? If it's like 120 feet away and the signal is still 20 feet short on your door, a new router in the computer room probably won't help you. and actually, you already did the math, you need like 30 db more power received than what you're getting at your door, which would be 1000 times stronger than what you're getting.

if the apartment building is kosher with sharing their wifi, maybe you can get them to install (or allow you to install) an extender or access point halfway between the computer room and your apartment. That would probably work well.

If other apartments are equally distant, they might want a more "pro" style set up with access points around the periphery, preferably connected with Ethernet for better speeds.

But for your purposes, just one extender or repeater is probably all you need.

Unfortunately, most wireless routers are already transmitting at the maximum power allowed by the FCC or other regulatory agencies we can't really recommend one as having longer range for that reason.

The WNDR3400V3 is very outdated at this point and upgrading to an 802.11ac router would likely improve speeds as long as you can pick up the signal. Look for a router with

I would suggest that you take steps to improve the wireless connection on your end as well. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a new wireless adapter with big antennas. This might plug into your computer through USB.

You could also consider buying a wireless router which can be configured as a wireless bridge providing wired access to your devices. I believe that most ASUS router support bridge mode out of the box: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114552/

Thanks Internet Man,

The present wireless router being used has no external antennas. So I was thinking that a new router with external antennas might likely increase the signal strength received at my apartment door. Do you think that a newer wireless router with external antennas would deliver a stronger signal to my door?

I have already tried to setup a wifi extender with an (amped wireless) extender at my door and the signal is too weak to setup such a system, even with a directional "cantenna." The amped wireless extender has detachable antennas. So if I could pick up a stronger signal, with e.g., an omnidirectional antenna, I'd just use an omnidirectional antenna and run a short cable over the door to the extender -- one less wall for the signal to penetrate. A directional Yagi antenna (if not too big) might work as well, but would be more complicated. A parabolic antenna is really too big, I think, to be practical.

I believe that with a wireless usb adapter, the output signal from the adapter would likely be stronger than the output from a wireless extender. I could try a wireless usb adapter with antennas as you suggest, but I am doubtful I'd get the signal in my apartment.

Any comments from you or others would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Lone Ranger

the old router has a 2x2 (two antenna) configuration. A bigger router might have 3x3 or 4x4 configuration, which might eke out a bit more speed. emphasis on might.

How far is it from your apartment to the computer room? If it's like 120 feet away and the signal is still 20 feet short on your door, a new router in the computer room probably won't help you. and actually, you already did the math, you need like 30 db more power received than what you're getting at your door, which would be 1000 times stronger than what you're getting.

if the apartment building is kosher with sharing their wifi, maybe you can get them to install (or allow you to install) an extender or access point halfway between the computer room and your apartment. That would probably work well.

If other apartments are equally distant, they might want a more "pro" style set up with access points around the periphery, preferably connected with Ethernet for better speeds.

But for your purposes, just one extender or repeater is probably all you need.

Thanks Rhino,

I've already tried two powerline extenders and I can't quite get the signal into my apartment. I can get an intermittent signal at an outlet in the hall. Again, just too many obstacles to get through. In addition, a powerline extender in the hall would not be an option.

Regarding trying a wireless extender, a point that is more direct line of sight that is "halfway" is outside the building, so that is not an option. I also tried my amped wireless extender at a point in the building that is kind of halfway and still I can't get the signal in my apartment. As I remember, I couldn't even get the signal at my door. But I may try that again. If I could get it at the door and they'd allow me to use the extender in the building, then two extenders might work.

Any more comments from you or anybody else would be welcomed.

Thanks again,

Lone Ranger

Sounds like the apartment needs to add another AP or two to reduce the coverage issues. If this is part of your lease agreement, you can hold them to it.

I suspect that bigger antennas on the router, if they have an impact, won't have enough of an impact to reach the last 30 feet to your door.

The extender was, unfortunately, at your door. I think you're going to have to move it closer to the router. Like halfway. Hopefully somewhere where it won't get stolen. (maybe there's a ceiling mount or a utility closet available?).

A highly directional antenna on your end might conceivably help. I've never tried one, but they can be macguyvered with kitchen strainers and whatnot. But my hunch is it won't help, the signal from the computer room is just too degraded by distance and walls by the time it gets to your door.

so, just to be certain, is there a way you could get internet access directly to your apartment? like DSL or cable? How much would that cost you?

If powerline doesn't work, what about coaxial. is there any chance there's linked coaxial between the computer room and your apartment? you could try some MoCA adapters.

so, just to be certain, is there a way you could get internet access directly to your apartment? like DSL or cable? How much would that cost you?

If powerline doesn't work, what about coaxial. is there any chance there's linked coaxial between the computer room and your apartment? you could try some MoCA adapters.
Thanks Rhino,

The MoCA is a good idea, there are one or more coaxial outlets in the computer room and also one or more coaxial outlets in the apartment, but how can I determine if it would work? In other words, how can I determine if a coax outlet in the computer room and my apartment are linked?

I think the coaxial outlets in my apartment are for 100 channel cable tv service plus internet, which I do not want and really can't afford.

Thanks again,

Lone Ranger

That cable system, unless relatively new will likely be RG59 and will limit you to using moca 1.1 at best. Plus it is owned by someone else - maybe not even the apartments.

I'm not a moca expert, but as long as the coax in the computer room and your apartment are ultimately joined somewhere, it should be worth a shot. If the computer room cable has a tv signla, and your apartment has the same tv signal, that would be a good sign. Apparantlly satelitte services like DirecTV and Dish are a no-no for Moca.

... but I'd get the moca adaptors from a place that has a good return policy in case it doesn't work out.

i saw some good info at this site:
http://www.mocainyourhouse.com/moca-technical-information

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!