What's new

Need advice for AP or wifi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elp

Occasional Visitor
Hello, i recently had to rearrange my house and now i am forced to connect my PC to the local lan with wifi, my PC motherboard has Intel AX200 and it is connected at 5ghz to a TP-Link 225v3 AP.

When i upload a file to another PC on the local lan the transfer rate is around 70Mbytes/s which is enough for my needs. My problem is that when i download a file from another PC on the lan the transfer rate is 25 Mbytes/s which is less than what i need.

When testing i moved my PC closer to the AP and the speed went up so i think that the EAP225v3 signal just isn't strong enough while my PC AX200 signal is just fine. Also when i connect a laptop on the same AP and transfer files from my PC the speed is even lower ( 20 Mbytes/s) because the AP is used by both devices.

I plan to replace the AP with something with stronger signal and the ability to maintain high speed when two devices is using it. I know that a 400 euro router would do the job but i was hoping for a less expensive solution, at the same time i don't want to risk buying something cheap and having weak signal again.

What would you suggest me to buy and replace the AP;

When you use the same AP you are cutting your speed in half, which may change in the future. When using 2 APs they are running parallel so you will have a higher speed over using 1 AP providing you are using an Ethernet backhaul on a switch and your APs are on different channels.

When using 2 APs and you are seeing different speeds back and forth is probably related to the speed of the devices, maybe 1 PC has an SSD and 1 PC has a HD. Writing data has more overhead especially if not using caching when writing data. Using a write cache can be dangerous if you do not have a UPS because if power fails you can corrupt your HD.

PS
Maybe not half but it will be slower because the 1 AP will need to receive and transmit whereas the 2 APs will run in parallel at the same time.

Last edited:
If the TP-Link is giving you satisfactory performance in all other areas, I wouldn't suggest to replace it.

For a much cheaper solution than a 400 Euro router, when powerline adaptors work, they work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVD4318/?tag=snbforums-20

The above has been pretty solid for my customers that don't want to run cables. They are good for up to around 450Mbps speeds if the wiring is up to specs.

Have you tried powerline adaptors? You may not even have to use one as good as the model I suggest above.

I am not familiar with the TP-Link 225v3, but it does seem to be on the lower end of the AC WiFi router spectrum. What upgrade cost would you be comfortable with?

There are many excellent solutions between what you have and the 400 Euro price point you indicated already. :)

Tell us a bit more about your network environment and the physical layout of your space too to get the best answers at the lowest cost.

When you use the same AP you are cutting your speed in half, which may change in the future. When using 2 APs they are running parallel so you will have a higher speed over using 1 AP providing you are using an Ethernet backhaul on a switch and your APs are on different channels.

When using 2 APs and you are seeing different speeds back and forth is probably related to the speed of the devices, maybe 1 PC has an SSD and 1 PC has a HD. Writing data has more overhead especially if not using caching when writing data. Using a write cache can be dangerous if you do not have a UPS because if power fails you can corrupt your HD.

Thank you for your answer, my question really is what is the cheaper router/AP i can buy that:

a. has higher signal strength than my EAP225v3 and similar to my motherboard AX200 wifi.
b. allows 2 devices (with good wifi adapters and fast ssd) to copy large files between them with speeds greater than 60Mbytes/s.

Thank you for your answer, my question really is what is the cheaper router/AP i can buy that:

a. has higher signal strength than my EAP225v3 and similar to my motherboard AX200 wifi.
b. allows 2 devices (with good wifi adapters and fast ssd) to copy large files between them with speeds greater than 60Mbytes/s.

Ignoring AX based routers to keep the cost reasonable, the RT-AC3100 or the better RT-AC86U will be a significant upgrade over your existing configuration. :)

Reactions: elp
If the TP-Link is giving you satisfactory performance in all other areas, I wouldn't suggest to replace it.

For a much cheaper solution than a 400 Euro router, when powerline adaptors work, they work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVD4318/?tag=snbforums-20

The above has been pretty solid for my customers that don't want to run cables. They are good for up to around 450Mbps speeds if the wiring is up to specs.

Have you tried powerline adaptors? You may not even have to use one as good as the model I suggest above.

I am not familiar with the TP-Link 225v3, but it does seem to be on the lower end of the AC WiFi router spectrum. What upgrade cost would you be comfortable with?

There are many excellent solutions between what you have and the 400 Euro price point you indicated already. :)

I can't use powerline adaptors because of many reasons that have to do with my needs. I am comfortable with any cost (even 400) just don't like spending money where it is not needed.

I can't use powerline adaptors because of many reasons that have to do with my needs. I am comfortable with any cost (even 400) just don't like spending money where it is not needed.

Fair enough. :)

But if you're able to afford a good solution, and it is justified by your needs, don't waste time. ;)

As @coxhaus mentions, wired is the gold standard. If your TP-Link 225v3 is giving satisfactory performance in all other areas, simply hardwire your PC to achieve better than anything wireless could offer.

Ignoring AX based routers to keep the cost reasonable, the RT-AC3100 or the better RT-AC86U will be a significant upgrade over your existing configuration. :)
Thank you i will consider getting a RT-AC86U.

You know Ethernet wire will be a lot faster. Why speed money on new slower hardware when you can spend money on Ethernet wire and achieve the best solution.
I had ethernet wire installed on most rooms of my house except the one i am forced to have my pc now. When i told my wife that i will put another cable and repaint she refused because she doesn't want the baby to smell the paint, it is also winter now here and is constantly raining. When summer comes i think i will do that.

@elp, congrats on the new baby! :D

Run the wire today and paint in the summer. Savings, done. ;)

RT-AC86U cost 190 euro in my country (Greece), R7800 170 euro, R8000 18o euro, i think the prices are not the normal ones, is the AC86U worth the extra euro;

RT-AC86U cost 190 euro in my country (Greece), R7800 170 euro, R8000 18o euro, i think the prices are not the normal ones, is the AC86U worth the extra euro;

Yasou Greece! :D

To me, the RT-AC86U + RMerlin + amtm + scripts are easily worth the extra Euros.

The R7800 has great hardware and performs even better with Voxel firmware installed, but it is still a NetGear product in the end with all the issues and limitations that implies.

The R8000 I'm mostly unfamiliar with, but again; NetGear product. :p

If you're able to purchase with the option to return if not satisfactory for your networking environment, I would first try the RT-AC86U with the RMerlin firmware. And then adjust as you know more. ;)

Yasou Greece! :D

To me, the RT-AC86U + RMerlin + amtm + scripts are easily worth the extra Euros.

The R7800 has great hardware and performs even better with Voxel firmware installed, but it is still a NetGear product in the end with all the issues and limitations that implies.

The R8000 I'm mostly unfamiliar with, but again; NetGear product. :p

If you're able to purchase with the option to return if not satisfactory for your networking environment, I would first try the RT-AC86U with the RMerlin firmware. And then adjust as you know more. ;)

Thank you very much for your help, I just ordered the AC-86U after comparing the spec's and considering your advice.

I changed my AC-86U order to AX88U, i had to pay only 45 euro more due to bf offers and coupons. If i am not satisfied i can always return it.

You may want to consider RE9000 or EX7500 as extenders. They are pretty sweet deal in BF
Thank you for the info but i don't really think i will need an extender and i also think those offers are only in US (70 euro delivery cost + customs fees for Greece).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!