What's new

Need advice for wifi bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shumon

New Around Here
Hi,

I need some advice / info, based in UK.

Currently:
-I have a Netgear RAX200 (works and stable for me).
-I have a powerline adapter going from the router to a switch in an adjoining room (all wired connections to devices in the adjoining room).
-I cannot run a cable.

Unfortunately the powerline adapter is quite slow (recently bought and returned a G.hn adapter since it would frequently disconnect).

I am now considering getting the Asus XT9 2 pack (£390 on Amazon atm) and using the UNII-4 band to backhaul to the satellite and use only the LAN ports on the satellite and not broadcast wireless from it. My hope is that I should be able to get at least a 2Gb connection between the 2 units.

My question is; would I be able to achieve what I want by adding an additional unit to RAX200 or must I go the MESH route? £390 is quite expensive for me.
I chose the XT9 because it's triband and has UNII-4 capability and multiple LAN ports.

If I go with mesh, is my choice of the XT9 good or is there better?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the forums @shumon.

While what you state may work, it is a very expensive solution.

Instead, simply buy a router (one you have lying around, at a garage sale, or the least expensive model that has the feature/mode listed next) that has Media Bridge capabilities. You definitely don't need two routers to achieve what you state above.

Media Bridge Mode

Welcome to the forums @shumon.

While what you state may work, it is a very expensive solution.

Instead, simply buy a router (one you have lying around, at a garage sale, or the least expensive model that has the feature/mode listed next) that has Media Bridge capabilities. You definitely don't need two routers to achieve what you state above.

Media Bridge Mode
Hi L&LD,

Thank you for the welcome and advice.
I had thought about which would provide a more stable connection, wireless bridge or mesh, but couldn't figure it out. I don't have a 2nd router, would have to buy one and trying to figure which would be the best use of my money.

When I said my rax200 was working and stable, that's the 2.4GHz and the 1st 5GHz band, the 2nd 5GHz band does have a habit dropping out and resetting down to 600Mb when it comes back up.

Not knowing for sure if I can use the 5.9GHz band, I'm now thinking I should maybe focus on a tri-band wifi 6E router and it may last me longer.
Use the 6GHz for the backhaul and leaving the 2.4 and 5GHz for wifi devices might be my best option.

Still open to advice and suggestions, was hoping to take advantage of the current sales.

Triband routers (with two radios) are never required/recommended by me in almost all environments I've worked with. Expensive toys. WiFi 7 will change that with a dedicated radio for each band.

Drop the PLA and get yourself an entry-level AX class router capable of Media Bridge mode. This is the best use of your money today.

Triband routers (with two radios) are never required/recommended by me in almost all environments I've worked with. Expensive toys. WiFi 7 will change that with a dedicated radio for each band.
I guess I'm underinformed. My understanding of "triband" would /necessitate/ one more than two radios...

Tri-band, does not necessarily mean, tri-radio.

Like I said, expensive toys.

My understanding of "triband" would /necessitate/ one more than two radios...

Tri-band home routers do have 3x radios.

Last edited:
You can build a mesh wireless network with Cisco 150ax wireless APs. They are only $102 each which would be cheaper than buying and using expensive routers.

I prefer wire.

Yeah, but this OP is a renter who "can't" run wire, so is seeking a /wireless/ "mesh wireless network."

The OP has to live with the limitations then and find own solution for the >2Gbps link hope/requirement. XT9 is a waste of money "mesh" system with backhaul in DFS (in Europe); whatever Asus calls Media Bridge may or may not work well (unstable on some firmware releases); RAX200 5-2 radio is perhaps dropping because it works in DFS (in Europe) and something bumps it off the channel from time to time. There is a chance any tri-band system will have similar issues at this location. Even this RAX200 was a mistake purchase, not guaranteed to work everywhere. So... powerline whatever it can do or a wire. Some creativity may be needed.

As a heads up UNII-4 is not currently licensed for home WiFi use in the UK.
If HomeAV is slow and Gh.n unreliable, your home wiring may not be suitable for power-line networking. If the wiring is reasonably new it may be worthwhile getting an electrician in, just to check things.
You should be able to set up a Mesh-extender from Netgear in bridge mode, it's usually going to be cheaper than an additional router!

Thank you all for your input and advice, very enlightening.

I do have an issue with DFS channels, it's why the 5.9GHz band was so tempting but can't be certain it'd be available on any router.
I think I'll try a mesh extender from netgear like Crimliar suggested, see one for £50, worth a short.
2Gb was a slight hope not a requirement, getting 150Mb on the HomeAV2.

Found out some info about wifi 6 in UK:

From Wikipedia:
"The UK's Ofcom regulations for unlicensed use of the 5 GHz band is similar to Europe, except that DFS is not required for the frequency range 5.725–5.850 GHz and the SRD maximum mean e.i.r.p is 200 mW instead of 25 mW.[61]

Additionally, 5.925–6.425 GHz is also available for unlicensed use, as long as it is used indoors with an SRD of 250 mW."

From Wifi Alliance:

So in the UK frequencies 5735-5835 MHz can be used at 200mW (non-DFS) and frequencies 5945-6425 MHz can be used at indoors at 250mW (non-DFS)

Turns out the rax200 can use channels 149-161, 80MHz and not 160MHz that I can see. I'll test that to see if it drops off.

I'll hold off buying anything for now and see how stable those channels are for the time being.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!