What's new

Need advice in upgrading my router setup at home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MCube74

New Around Here
I have 2 individual 1GB lines provided my my ISP and I connect each to a separate router setup.

1) Router setup 1= Netgear Orbi (AC3000) in which the main router is setup in the living room and the satellite is set up in my bedroom

2) Router setup 2 = Asus Blue Cave router in the living room and it is connected in AiMesh mode with the Asus AC68U

Router Setup 1 is our main router for use at home.
Router Setup 2 is for our Smart Home (Google, Siri and Alexa) and VPN (USA) as I use it to connect to YouTube TV, Disney Plus and other Channels and shows in the US. I live in Hong Kong.

Now I want to upgrade all my routers to Wifi 6 as most of the devices I have or will be buying will have Wifi 6.

I am thinking of upgarding Router 1 setup to Asus XT8 or Linksys MX10 or Netgear Orbi 6 but in wired Setup.
This time I want to add one more satellite in the my daugther's room. So instead of having 2 connected in mesh before, there will be 3. I have read that in Wifi 6 triband routers the 5hz-2 channel (160mhz) is not available in a wireless mesh setup. So that is why I am thinking of a wired mesh setup. Hope I am correct with this thought.

The problem is that since I need 3 to connect together and when I contacted the store where I buy all my routers, they informed me that only Linksys MX10 comes with 2 in a box and 1 can be bought separately. While the other 2 options Aus XT8 and Netgear Orbi 6 comes only 2 in a set. So I have to buy 2 sets of 2pcs and keep 4.

I am wondering if I should get the LInksys MX10 3 device setup and solve router 1 setup upgrade or you think the Asus XT8 or Orbi 6 are better routers.

I am wondering if the extra router from Asus XT8 can be used as a standalone router for router setup 2 which I can continue to use for my needs.

What do you guys think?

I am not so experienced with wifi networking so I really need your suggestions in upgrading my router setup at home.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Actually a couple days ago my ISP called me to upgrade my subscription and offered me 4 lines of 1gb connect from a single modem compared to the 2 lines 1gb which I am using now.

They gave me an attractive offer but then I thought what I will do with 4 lines. I was wondering if using 2 lines on a dual wan available router like Asus AX11000 will be a good idea but then that router is big and I dont think it is worth it.

That is why I believe my plan above to upgrade the router setup in wired mesh will be a better option.

What do you guys think?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!