What's new

Need advice on Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bahamut_Launch

Occasional Visitor
So I have a RSV4000 router we got about 5-6 years ago that has started to die, it needs to be re-set every 2-3 days which is fairly annoying.

I'm looking for a cheap replacement if posable. It really only needs to be 1 port that feeds the switches for the entire office (probably about 30-60 devices served) We have a very good Verizon FIOS connection 160/70, so it needs to be able to run at those speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

So I have a RSV4000 router we got about 5-6 years ago that has started to die, it needs to be re-set every 2-3 days which is fairly annoying.

I'm looking for a cheap replacement if posable. It really only needs to be 1 port that feeds the switches for the entire office (probably about 30-60 devices served) We have a very good Verizon FIOS connection 160/70, so it needs to be able to run at those speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Why not just go with the in line replacement? The Cisco Small Business RV320?

Why not just go with the in line replacement? The Cisco Small Business RV320?

Looks good, but don't need the dual wan function though, if there was a cheaper option without it I would consider that.

I wasn't seeing a lot of single wan wired only routers so maybe there aren't a lot of those left?

Looks good, but don't need the dual wan function though, if there was a cheaper option without it I would consider that.

I wasn't seeing a lot of single wan wired only routers so maybe there aren't a lot of those left?

There is a slightly slower (but still plenty fast) and cheaper version. The RV180

There is a slightly slower (but still plenty fast) and cheaper version. The RV180

I was looking at that version. 1 Wan, still very good speed (800 Mbs is way faster than I need), plus it has most of the software bells and whistle features and costs like $100 less.

The only problem is that the user reviews are awful. Really pretty bad, the features and price are right but it looks like it's been poorly made. Does anyone one know what the equivalent from another company is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was looking at that version. 1 Wan, still very good speed (800 Mbs is way faster than I need), plus it has most of the software bells and whistle features and costs like $100 less.

The only problem is that the user reviews are awful. Really pretty bad, the features and price are right but it looks like it's been poorly made. Does anyone one know what the equivalent from another company is?

Thanks!

What are the rough requirements (other than speed)?
For example;
DHCP server
DHCP reservation
SSL VPN server
10 IPSec tunnels
Bandwidth limiting
Egress QOS
802.1q VLAN support

Off the top of my head for a small business . . . TP-link ER6020, Ubiquiti ERL3, Linksys LRT214. Anything else I can think of is either too slow or costs more than the RV320 anyway.

I don't really know what I'll need in the future, the fact that I don't know what any of these services mean probably suggests that I don't use them now, so I'm not sure I need them at all.

That said more services is better, just because I'm not using them now doesn't mean I'll need them later.

For example one of my long term goals is to set up an FTP here in the office so I would need what ever I needed to make that work.

I don't really know what I'll need in the future, the fact that I don't know what any of these services mean probably suggests that I don't use them now, so I'm not sure I need them at all.

That said more services is better, just because I'm not using them now doesn't mean I'll need them later.

For example one of my long term goals is to set up an FTP here in the office so I would need what ever I needed to make that work.

Any router ought to be able to support port forwarding (pretty much the only thing needed to host an FTP server).

My advice to you is as follows: Try out these emulators and see which firmware you like the best.
Linksys LRT214 (admin/admin)
http://ui.linksys.com/files/LRT214/1.0.0.07/

TP-Link ER6120 (The ER6020 is the same but less)
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Cisco RV320 (The RV180 is the same but less)
https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/RV320_Emulators/RV320_Emulator_v1.1.0.09/default.htm

Tomato (just in case your fancy is going with an alternative firmware on a consumer level router like the Asus RT-AC56u)
http://victek.is-a-geek.com/virtual/tomatok26/

Edit:
The Ubiquiti ERLite-3 would make a perfect fit for you purely from a price/performance standpoint but I am hesitant to suggest it without being able to let you play with the GUI.

Last edited:
So my router is just getting worse and worse, I have to reset it several times a day now. So, I'm going to go with the Linksys LRT224. Sure, it's Dual Wan but it's only $20 dollars more than the single wan version, which is worth it to future proof it a bit. Thanks!

Recommend not doing this for security reasons. FTP servers get bombarded with hacker attacks. Best to use an on-line (free) file sharing service - dropbox, OpenDrive, dozens of them. Most are free for the first 5GB.