What's new

Need Advice Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike06

Occasional Visitor
I have a Asus 68u that I may have out grown. I stream from the net have as many a dozen wireless devices on the list at one time not all in use. I think I have reach the max of devices with the last installation of two Ring items camera and doorbell. I do use Merlin's firmware. Do you think a 86u would be my best upgrade with Merlin firmware? This is for home use only. I like Asus because I am use to the software screens and understand most of the settings and tips from this forum. I am no expert just a old guy wants a smooth system as possible. Thanks Mike

What problem do you hope to solve by upgrading?

What problem do you hope to solve by upgrading?
Router seems to be not as stable and I am thinking that a 86u would have a better range. Would then turn the 68u into a AP . Honestly it is probably me not knowing how to set the router for best performance. The Ring DoorBell and the Ring Flood light camera are my main concerns. I do a bit of streaming tv programs also.

If "stability" means intermittent/poor connection to your most distant devices, then maybe more range will help. If it means the router drops all connections from time to time or randomly reboots, then you might just need a new power wart.

If range is your problem, four streams vs. the 68u's three can help. But the 86u has four streams only on the 5 GHz radio. If your range problems are with devices that are on 2.4 GHz. then you'd be better off trying a full four-stream router like the NETGEAR R7800.

If "stability" means intermittent/poor connection to your most distant devices, then maybe more range will help. If it means the router drops all connections from time to time or randomly reboots, then you might just need a new power wart.

If range is your problem, four streams vs. the 68u's three can help. But the 86u has four streams only on the 5 GHz radio. If your range problems are with devices that are on 2.4 GHz. then you'd be better off trying a full four-stream router like the NETGEAR R7800.
Thanks for your help. This router stuff is way above my head. I come here and browse a bunch to pick up ideas of what settings to try. Ok just ordered a Netgear R7800 from amazon through this site.

Last edited:
thiggins you hit the nail on the head. I received the R7800 this evening UPS got it online in 15 minutes. This is a very good router for my needs. I tell the increase in speed and the signal health to my Ring camera and doorbell. Both ar working better. Thanks for sending me in the right direction. Mike

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!