What's new

Need advices for new network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chojo

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
I hope you all going well!

I'm tired of a not having a good home network setup, I often lose wireless signal when i'm at the 1st floor. Hell, I have a better Wi-Fi signal from my neighborhood than mine! Crazy.

My router is from my ISP and it's in my basement because that's where all my ethernet cables goes to. To be fair, my basement is hell itself for a router (water thank, electrical panel, near the garage, etc.etc.).

I have attached to this post a picture of my basement and a floor plan of my house.

What I need is to keep my main computer plugged (my computer is in the room right over the garage) and have a full-bar Wi-Fi signal to my 1st floor. What would be a good setup for this?

I am not a network expert but what I though was :
- Edge router X to my basement where my current ISP router is.
- Network switch in the room over my garage so I can split the ethernet port to at least 2 : one for my main computer and 1 for an Access point.

Is this setup could work?
Thank you in advance for your help!

basement.png
floor_plan.png

Hi everyone,
I hope you all going well!

I'm tired of a not having a good home network setup, I often lose wireless signal when i'm at the 1st floor. Hell, I have a better Wi-Fi signal from my neighborhood than mine! Crazy.

My router is from my ISP and it's in my basement because that's where all my ethernet cables goes to. To be fair, my basement is hell itself for a router (water thank, electrical panel, near the garage, etc.etc.).

I have attached to this post a picture of my basement and a floor plan of my house.

What I need is to keep my main computer plugged (my computer is in the room right over the garage) and have a full-bar Wi-Fi signal to my 1st floor. What would be a good setup for this?

I am not a network expert but what I though was :
- Edge router X to my basement where my current ISP router is.
- Network switch in the room over my garage so I can split the ethernet port to at least 2 : one for my main computer and 1 for an Access point.

Is this setup could work?
Thank you in advance for your help!

View attachment 18770 View attachment 18771

Put an AC based access point somewhere in the green circled area mounted on the ceiling.
The rest can be handled by local switches at each wall plate location if you need more than one device connected hardwired.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 360
Put an AC based access point somewhere in the green circled area mounted on the ceiling.
The rest can be handled by local switches at each wall plate location if you need more than one device connected hardwired.
My problem is there are no ethernet cable that goes there... I won't fish a cable from my basement to the first floor.

Do you think it could be a great option to put a switche at my room over the garage ethernet wall plate, and then plug a cable from the switch to my main computer and another cable from the switche to an access point?

Keeping to your Ethernet locations -

Option 1) I’d turn the ISP router’s WiFi off. The ISP router is probably more than adequate as a DHCP wired router. I’d put an access point in the room over the garage and an access point in chamber #3. If you are looking at commercial grade routers then you could probably afford two top consumer AC access points (ASUS 86u): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20

Turn off DHCP in settings for each of the two new devices (makes them access points rather than routers), connect your Ethernet to only LAN ports, and use 5 ghz only for all your roaming devices. The three additional LAN ports will allow you to connect up to three wired devices.

For about $350 you should have great WiFi throughout your house with minimal setup.

Option 2) If you go with an edge router you could get two ubiquiti access points (setup the same as above above garage and in bedroom #3) and upgrade to a commercial grade system with a couple additional roaming features. It’ll cost more but could be worth it depending on your use and budget.

Keeping to your Ethernet locations -

Option 1) I’d turn the ISP router’s WiFi off. The ISP router is probably more than adequate as a DHCP wired router. I’d put an access point in the room over the garage and an access point in chamber #3. If you are looking at commercial grade routers then you could probably afford two top consumer AC access points (ASUS 86u): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20

To the OP — The ISP-provided router is probably minimally okay as a DHCP/wired router. You may want to also replace it when the time comes, after you get your WiFi issues resolved.

I’m a big Ubiquiti fan myself, but I can’t argue with the performance and price that has been shown for these ASUS units.

Turn off DHCP in settings for each of the two new devices (makes them access points rather than routers), connect your Ethernet to only LAN ports, and use 5 ghz only for all your roaming devices. The three additional LAN ports will allow you to connect up to three wired devices.

For about $350 you should have great WiFi throughout your house with minimal setup.

For minimal work required, I think these instructions will be hard to beat.

Option 2) If you go with an edge router you could get two ubiquiti access points (setup the same as above above garage and in bedroom #3) and upgrade to a commercial grade system with a couple additional roaming features. It’ll cost more but could be worth it depending on your use and budget.

If the Ethernet ports are pre-wired, you may be able to do PoE on them, at which point you can get down to just one cable connecting the remote end to both power and data, and Ubiquiti has some pretty sweet PoE Access Points that I have installed for my father-in-law.

But even if you don’t try to do PoE at first, with the right hardware you could install APs at each of the two furthest distance Ethernet ports, and get pretty good coverage of your whole house.

NB: I would plug in small Ethernet switches at each of those locations and then plug the APs into those switches, in case you need to plug in other network devices in the future — it would be a bit of a pain to retrofit switches between the APs and the Ethernet ports on the wall, but you could obviously do it.

Being that the rooms are labeled in French, and yet I see English inch/foot distance measurements and what look like standard 120VAC three-prong power outlets in your picture of the room below the kitchen, can we assume you are in Canada somewhere? WTH a nice mud room at the front door, where people might be coming in from the outside with very heavy snow-laden coats?

I ask, because down here in the heat in Texas right now, it’s nice to sometimes think about places with colder weather.... [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!