What's new

Need data bridge between buildings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dirtdot

New Around Here
I have 2 buildings across the street from each other. I can get a good signal, but I only want to share files and connect to the VOIP box for phones. I don't want internet traffic to go over the wireless, I use Hamachi to serve as a backup for when the WIFI goes down.

We have been using the WHR-HP-G300N in this setup for a couple of years, and when the link works, its great. But these things are not stable, I can be rebooting multiple times a day. They are sluggish at first if you don't use the bridge for a while. Its just a fustrating setup, perhaps the DDWRT build on this hardware is not the best choice.

In any case, I need to replace this setup with something that works. The city offered to drop a fiber link between buildings at a cost of over $20K setup and $400/month. I'm hoping for something cheaper.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 214
I have 2 buildings across the street from each other. I can get a good signal, but I only want to share files and connect to the VOIP box for phones. I don't want internet traffic to go over the wireless, I use Hamachi to serve as a backup for when the WIFI goes down.

We have been using the WHR-HP-G300N in this setup for a couple of years, and when the link works, its great. But these things are not stable, I can be rebooting multiple times a day. They are sluggish at first if you don't use the bridge for a while. Its just a fustrating setup, perhaps the DDWRT build on this hardware is not the best choice.

In any case, I need to replace this setup with something that works. The city offered to drop a fiber link between buildings at a cost of over $20K setup and $400/month. I'm hoping for something cheaper.

Any ideas?

Engenius Outdoor APs.

http://www.engeniustech.com/network...tworking/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges

If it were me, I'd be getting two of the ENH500s as they're on the 5GHz band which will help eliminate any interference from 2.4GHz Wi-Fi clients. Especially if you're using it for VoIP.

I've used various Engenious bridges. Good. They're parent company is a large chip maker.

Cisco's Aironet 5.8GHz bridges are $$$ and are widely used in professional applications.

The enh500 will work well for this application

Last edited by a moderator:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!