What's new

Need General Assistance for in Wall Ethernet Attachment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nofil Jawed

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I’m pretty new to forums, so please excuse me if I’m doing anything wrong. I’ve recently moved into a new house that has in wall Cat 6 wiring but is covered with a white plate, so if I wanted to I could connect a Ethernet jack to it. My question is whether if that wiring is connected on the other end, like to maybe some sort of cable connection which in the end connects to my modem via coax, since I have cable Internet. I checked near my circuit breaker and there’s too many wires to tell if it is. If it’s already connected then I can just go ahead and purchase a jack and make that covered up wire into a full Ethernet jack.

Thank you for the replies in advance!

If you have blank plates like that in multiple rooms there should be a box or panel where all the cables go.

If you have just unterminated cables on both ends, you have some work to do. But you will need to post more information and probably photos so that good advice can be given.

If you have blank plates like that in multiple rooms there should be a box or panel where all the cables go.

If you have just unterminated cables on both ends, you have some work to do. But you will need to post more information and probably photos so that good advice can be given.
So what I’m basically trying to do is bring Ethernet from my main floor to upstairs where my PlayStation is. I’ve tried all other methods, including powerline. The only issue I’m having is not knowing if the Ethernet that I see on the wall are connected on the other end. I’ll include a picture of what it looks like inside the wall and a picture of a box that I saw outside my house with my ISP’s logo.

Attachments

• 32CFD497-CC11-438A-A8F1-E045F44F39FA.jpeg
    32CFD497-CC11-438A-A8F1-E045F44F39FA.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 4AB84FE0-AC02-4D15-8357-442C3012B56E.jpeg
    4AB84FE0-AC02-4D15-8357-442C3012B56E.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 202
Basically, 0% chance that the wire "does" anything right now. You need to determine where the other end is and put connections on it yourself. It isn't "ethernet" until you connect it to something :) it's just a wire. Could even be for phones.

You can purchase a "wire trace" tool for under $20 and it will help you follow or at least identify the wire from a bundle of other wires. Worst case, I've used a light bulb, led or wired speaker to verify if have the correct wire.

You have not found the location in your home where the other end of your blue Cat5e cables are. What you showed in your second picture appears to be the d-marc on the outside of your home.

Keep looking for the wiring cabinet/box. Could be in your laundry room, closet etc.

Once you find that we can offer some advice on how to proceed.

A photo of the outside of my box is attached.

Attachments

• IMG-4046.JPG
    IMG-4046.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
You have not found the location in your home where the other end of your blue Cat5e cables are. What you showed in your second picture appears to be the d-marc on the outside of your home.

Keep looking for the wiring cabinet/box. Could be in your laundry room, closet etc.

Once you find that we can offer some advice on how to proceed.

A photo of the outside of my box is attached.
I tried looking everywhere for the box where all the wires would go to. I also have cable/coax wires around my house that aren't yet fully turned into ports. I also need to find where all those lead to. I heard about some device called Actiontech MoCA that can turn cable into Ethernet. But I need to make sure that the cable is also connected on the other end. But I just don't know where to find it. Near my circuit breaker, there's a few wires and devices connected. If you'd like, I can send a picture and maybe you see something I don't.

Basically, 0% chance that the wire "does" anything right now. You need to determine where the other end is and put connections on it yourself. It isn't "ethernet" until you connect it to something :) it's just a wire. Could even be for phones.

You can purchase a "wire trace" tool for under $20 and it will help you follow or at least identify the wire from a bundle of other wires. Worst case, I've used a light bulb, led or wired speaker to verify if have the correct wire.
I'll look into the wire tracer, seems like it'll help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!