What's new

Need Help! Deciding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rick23

New Around Here
Hi guys I originally had a N66u and exchanged it for a Netgear Wndr3800 due to the DLNA feature worked and was able to access my files via android app

Now have a Cisco EA4500 its ok but the damn router has a dile limitation of 8000 files I can't view all my files on my attached hard drive also the video is very choppy

Now I'm thinning about getting another N66u to replace the Cisco router but has Asus fixed the DLNA issues? I want to make sure before I repurchase one I will be attaching a 1tb with picture files music and my daughters Disney Blu-Ray collections I want to stream them to both or BD players and TVs

Should I keep the Cisco router even though I'm telling my self buy the N66u lol

Please let me know your findings on the DLNA feature on your router

I'm not sure why the Netgear would have worked better, since Asus and Netgear both use the exact same DLNA server (MiniDLNA, which is actually written by a Netgear employee). The only difference is a switch at compile time that determines the name of the server.

As for the app, there are plenty of DLNA clients for Android that will work with MiniDLNA. Personally I use Plugplayer.

Hi guys I originally had a N66u and exchanged it for a Netgear Wndr3800 due to the DLNA feature worked and was able to access my files via android app

Now have a Cisco EA4500 its ok but the damn router has a dile limitation of 8000 files I can't view all my files on my attached hard drive also the video is very choppy

Now I'm thinning about getting another N66u to replace the Cisco router but has Asus fixed the DLNA issues? I want to make sure before I repurchase one I will be attaching a 1tb with picture files music and my daughters Disney Blu-Ray collections I want to stream them to both or BD players and TVs

Should I keep the Cisco router even though I'm telling my self buy the N66u lol

Please let me know your findings on the DLNA feature on your router

Doesn't support APE files, won't list them. FLAC files either as I remember.

Thanks Guys for your advice now

Now is there any benifit of me going with the AC router over the N other than the bandwidth speed???? or should i just stick with the N66u or Shoot for the AC66u

I don't recommend upgrading to any draft 11ac router unless you intend to use it with draft 11ac clients. Draft 11ac provides no benefit for older standards.

The only options for that right now are other draft 11ac routers set to bridge mode and Buffalo's draft 11ac bridge.

Good choice Rick23. I was looking at the RT-AC66U and still might purchase one in the future but I decided to stay with what I already knew be a success. I ordered my second RT-N66U online this past Friday at around 5pm my time and received it as a Saturday 10am delivery the next morning. I set up this second N66U on my 100/5 Mbps cable connection...installed the latest official Asus .178 firmware and I was off to the races. As with my first N66U it is an absolutely a smokin' fast router. So far I have never had to reboot either N66U for any kinds of performance related issues. I have only rebooted by choice after making settings changes.

I have had up to 21 total (4 wired and 17 wireless) devices connected to it simultaneously and so far it has performed flawlessly without a hiccup. A consistent internet connection speedtest.net test result using 2.4Ghz... single channel 20Mhz bandwidth with default 80mw Tx power setting... from the N66U router through one wall (plaster and wood) to a Toshiba notebook using built in wireless... 30 feet away outside the house is...54Mbps down and 4.38Mbps up (100/5 Mbps max cable internet bandwidth)...with more than ten other wireless devices connected to it simultaneously and....while streaming wireless video to another PC via Cat5e through the N66U's Gigabit wired Ethernet port. Besides my other N66U connected to my DSL modem broadcasting on a different channel (9)... at least ten other nearby neighbor's routers can be detected broadcasting on 2.4Ghz channels in the area and two of them are broadcasting on the same channel this N66U is broadcasting on (fixed channel 1).

The only thing that seems a bit perplexing to me about the N66U is the lack of preset QoS settings options available. In my previous Netgear 3700v2 router I also had extensive and elaborate settings based on Ethernet ports, IP and MAC address options but the official N66U firmware options are a bit different. It has the regular basic port options and doesn't have all the other options the 3700v2 had but now I am not sure how critical QoS is with the N66U as it seemed to be with my previous router. After experimenting with the QoS both on and off I didn't really notice any difference for gaming or streaming. When I have more time I might experiment with manual settings in the future. My 100/5 cable internet has plenty of bandwidth and I haven't been experiencing any noticeable lag while gaming or when using multiple video streaming or audio cutting out using VoIP with the N66U default settings so I decided to just leave QoS off.

Last edited:
I don't recommend upgrading to any draft 11ac router unless you intend to use it with draft 11ac clients. Draft 11ac provides no benefit for older standards.

The only options for that right now are other draft 11ac routers set to bridge mode and Buffalo's draft 11ac bridge.

Have you seen any ETAs from manufacturers regarding 802.11ac interfaces? Asus was talking about August for their USB and PCI-Express interfaces, I haven't heard anything about them since then.

I was reading about a few Cisco/Linksys devices using the links on their soon to be released EA6500 ac router information site. The problem is that the suggested retail price for the ac device(s) they had listed seemed to be quite expensive (for example $159 USD for the new Linksys WUMC710 4 port wireless ac bridge available 9/17/12).

Last edited:
Have you seen any ETAs from manufacturers regarding 802.11ac interfaces? Asus was talking about August for their USB and PCI-Express interfaces, I haven't heard anything about them since then.
No. Only "client" solutions continue to be dedicated bridges like the Buffalo and it looks like upcoming Cisco-Linksys product mentioned.

I was reading about a few Cisco/Linksys devices using the links on their soon to be released EA6500 ac router information site. The problem is that the suggested retail price for the ac device(s) they had listed seemed to be quite expensive (for example $159 USD for the new Linksys WUMC710 4 port wireless ac bridge available 9/17/12).
That's because it will basically be the same Broadcom-based hardware as the router, but repurposed as a bridge. Similar approach to what Buffalo took.

No. Only "client" solutions continue to be dedicated bridges like the Buffalo and it looks like upcoming Cisco-Linksys product mentioned.

Took me some digging, but I found a reference to those Asus announced adapters:

http://www.asus.com/News/rZcy4jXiQPQ5F8YL/

They mention the ASUS PCE-AC66 and USB-AC53 adapters. I can't remember however where I read the August target release date, might have been a reporter jumping to conclusion where I read that.

That's because it will basically be the same Broadcom-based hardware as the router, but repurposed as a bridge. Similar approach to what Buffalo took.

That's what I was thinking might be the reason for the high cost. It's still going to be about $40-$60 cheaper than the retail for their EA6500 and from the photos the more compact design would be a space saver compared to having to use an ac router as a bridge. Since Broadcom brought it's ac draft chip set for routers to market first manufacturers who want to ensure ac compatibility for their latest ac devices don't have other choices at this time. Early adopters of ac end up paying a premium for it.

Last edited:
They mention the ASUS PCE-AC66 and USB-AC53 adapters. I can't remember however where I read the August target release date, might have been a reporter jumping to conclusion where I read that.
ASUS says these won't be out until October earliest.

That's what I was thinking might be the reason for the high cost. It's still going to be about $40-$60 cheaper than the retail for their EA6500
Buffalo WLI-H4-D1300 is available now and around $160.

Happy as a clam with my RT-N66U

I have had up to 21 total (4 wired and 17 wireless) devices connected to it simultaneously and so far it has performed flawlessly without a hiccup. A consistent internet connection speedtest.net test result using 2.4Ghz... single channel 20Mhz bandwidth with default 80mw Tx power setting... from the N66U router through one wall (plaster and wood) to a Toshiba notebook using built in wireless... 30 feet away outside the house is...54Mbps down and 4.38Mbps up (100/5 Mbps max cable internet bandwidth)...with more than ten other wireless devices connected to it simultaneously and....while streaming wireless video to another PC via Cat5e through the N66U's Gigabit wired Ethernet port. Besides my other N66U connected to my DSL modem broadcasting on a different channel (9)... at least ten other nearby neighbor's routers can be detected broadcasting on 2.4Ghz channels in the area and two of them are broadcasting on the same channel this N66U is broadcasting on (fixed channel 1).

I have had as many as 28 clients connected to my sole RT-N66U and it has not missed a beat. Can't see any reason to buy a 802.11ac router yet. There are no readily available AC adapters available and the hardware is very expensive. Besides, I can wirelessly stream HD video to 2 DirecTV HD DVR's, have an Xbox 360 playing Live and take care of 3 web surfing sessions all at the same time. Why should I go through the expense of upgrading?

I finally got around to installing Merlin's firmware release .178.15 on one of my N66U's and everything is running smooth. Wireless works great. PS3 gaming is great. I don't notice any performance difference from the official Asus firmware and there are a lot of very nice extra features. I will continue to test it out and will probably end up will sticking with these Merlin builds. I did notice that after installing this Merlin release that the "LED always on bug" seems to be fixed unlike the official Asus .178 release where the radio LED stays on when the radio is disabled in the settings.

Last edited:
I did notice that after installing this Merlin release that the "LED always on bug" seems to be fixed unlike the official Asus .178 release where the radio LED stays on when the radio is disabled in the settings.

That doesn't make sense since this part of the code is entirely Asus's :) My guess is, you probably got it fixed it by wiping your nvram when you switched from Asus (32 KB) to mine (64 KB), in addition to the code change Asus might have done in 178.

I'm usinng .178.15 and such LEDs are still allways on. ... But who cares about such a tiny bug? My clients know when "their" WLAN is available... :rolleyes:

I finally got around to installing Merlin's firmware release .178.15 on one of my N66U's and everything is running smooth. Wireless works great. PS3 gaming is great. I don't notice any performance difference from the official Asus firmware and there are a lot of very nice extra features. I will continue to test it out and will probably end up will sticking with these Merlin builds. I did notice that after installing this Merlin release that the "LED always on bug" seems to be fixed unlike the official Asus .178 release where the radio LED stays on when the radio is disabled in the settings.
I have left Merlin for a bit as I am running AiCloud Beta version 3.0.0.4.208. The cloud is awesome. If only my Android app would work all of the time. I have issues with my Thunderbolt as it is still running Gingerbread. The ics update was promised by the end of August but that has come and gone. The missus and I are going to the Verizon store this weekend. I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!