What's new

Need help finding a powerful and stable Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sohaib Sarwar

Occasional Visitor
I have been a great fan of Asus routers for a very long time and having Merlin on top unleash it powers. I have two Asus RT-N66R, one as a main router and second as access point. These routers are extremely stable and can take a lot of beating still without loosing it's performance. I can't remember when I had any issues with these routers. Since Merlin will no longer be providing support and have decided to pursue with something as good as these or even better. I still plan to purchase two of the same Asus router that has great AC coverage. Can you guys provide suggestions? I want stabilty and performance. My house is hardwired so i don't care about AI Mesh. These babies last me good 10yrs and I am willing to spend money for something that is reliable and has good WiFi coverage. My goal is to have full WIFi coverage through out the house and outside in backyard. Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

It's an older model, the 86 is actually newer, for some bizarre reason.

Just get a cheap switch or two.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's an older model, the 86 is actually newer, for some bizarre reason.

Just get a cheap switch or two.

I can certainly look into that... Are you using 86? Does Merlin support one SSID for dual band? How is the WiFi coverage on 86 comparison to 5300? Thanks

Coverage is incredible and yes one managed SSID that for the first time ever in my life actually seems to use the 5GHz band properly. Up to now I thought it was just for a small room.

Now my whole single floor house and a good part of the yard is covered by 5GHz.

It smashes all the reviews.

Running Merlin and having a ball.

Couldn't be happier.

Coverage is incredible and yes one managed SSID that for the first time ever in my life actually seems to use the 5GHz band properly. Up to now I thought it was just for a small room.

Now my whole single floor house and a good part of the yard is covered by 5GHz.

It smashes all the reviews.

Running Merlin and having a ball.

Couldn't be happier.

Thank you so much for your help. I also reviewd the fourms and seems like everyone is pointing towrdst 86. I have a 4500 sqf house and still thinking of buying two and use the other as aceacc point.

If you run Merlin mesh is not currently supported, however you may not need another as a router, just a good Asus AP may work fine.

you can use Johns fork, he still updates your 66R and using it only as AP wont need much more security than now.

I would go for a 86U as main router and leave your old ones as AP.
Or even better if you dont have really need to change them right now except your security concern go with Johns fork for the next 1-2 years and then get an RT-AX88U!!!
Released right now but maybe usable stable not before in a year or even more and it got similar hardware as 86U only much faster Wifi and 8 LAN ports.

you can use Johns fork, he still updates your 66R and using it only as AP wont need much more security than now.

I would go for a 86U as main router and leave your old ones as AP.
Or even better if you dont have really need to change them right now except your security concern go with Johns fork for the next 1-2 years and then get an RT-AX88U!!!
Released right now but maybe usable stable not before in a year or even more and it got similar hardware as 86U only much faster Wifi and 8 LAN ports.

That's actually not a bad idea of keepin both of mine 66 and using them as AP with 86 being main router. I will have more coverage that I ever did before. However, i won't be able to keep same SSID right for 2.4 and 5g? I have seen smart connect on factory firmware on 88. Does Merlin offer that on 86? If it does then I will have to buy another 86 to keep same SSID running on same channel for my other AP. I am thinking on factory it's more for Aimesh but thought I ask. I would like good roaming arround the house and today my 66, Merlin only allow up -70db on roaming. You can't change below.

Another thought if I do plan to keep both 66 and wait another two years by using fork update do you have any suggestions on tweaking so I could gain it's full performance? is that true by turning off remote mngt access and UPnP I can speed 66 more? I find that remote access tagged the overhead of the router to the tune of 15-20 Mbps and about the same for UPnP. If there any tips of tweaking more for it's ability on 66 do let me know. Today I have everything default as it came from Merlin and only using roaming. Much appreciated.

Merlin doesnt support AiMesh!
You will have to configure as AP like now.
86U got Smart Connect on stock and Merlin, but dont suppose too much of it, I dont need or use it?

I use same SSID for 2G, 5G on main and node AP, no problem, but maybe depending on your situation.
If they have wired backhaul and far enough apart (would say if they see each other with less than -50dBm) you can use same channels too.
But whats the problem with different channels as long as devices use what they get?

Merlin doesnt support AiMesh!
You will have to configure as AP like now.
86U got Smart Connect on stock and Merlin, but dont suppose too much of it, I dont need or use it?

I use same SSID for 2G, 5G on main and node AP, no problem, but maybe depending on your situation.
If they have wired backhaul and far enough apart (would say if they see each other with less than -50dBm) you can use same channels too.
But whats the problem with different channels as long as devices use what they get?

My current setup is hardwired on 66 , modem to main router to switch to AP. Both router have same SSID for it's 2.4 and 5g running on different channels. There are to many other routers by my house that are always clashing and why I have to keep managing the channels on 66. I was hoping I don't have to deal with that with new setup. Basically have one SSID on both router for both 2.4 and 5. This way it's easier to manage and clients can connect depending on the band. Is that possible with 86? I am hoping to have only one SSID for my house and second for guest Network. OffcoOff c the channel will come to play and trying to stay away with other routers by my house that maybe using the same frequency.

Guest SSID is not supported neither on AP nor with Aimesh!
Would work only on main router, on nodes they will have access to your whole network, thats now and unchanged later!
Different SSID 2G/5G is ok if you want to stear devices to the band you want to.

Your problem will be even worse as Autochannel on main router will be set and then same ch. spread to Aimesh-nodes, regardless they will have problems with this channel or not.

In your case just let them all auto-choose the channel, main and node, why not?

Guest SSID is not supported neither on AP nor with Aimesh!
Would work only on main router, on nodes they will have access to your whole network, thats now and unchanged later!
Different SSID 2G/5G is ok if you want to stear devices to the band you want to.

Your problem will be even worse as Autochannel on main router will be set and then same ch. spread to Aimesh-nodes, regardless they will have problems with this channel or not.

In your case just let them all auto-choose the channel, main and node, why not?

Okay I don't think I am looking to do Aimesh. This is for more Wireless setup. My whole house is wired so still planning to keep same setup. You mentioned you have same SSID on your 86 eithe for 2.4 or 5 right? I don't have that today. Each band have it's on SSID and same setup on other AP. Both of my 2.4 are on same SSID and both of 5 on same SSID. Is there an issue if I try to consolidate with only one SSID? TgThan for your help in advance

no, you only loose the option to manually connect to a dedicated band or safe only one SSID on different devices to have them strictly on this band.

good article about band steering (=smart connect on asus devices): https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/4-wifi-band-steering-myths/1861851560

So your suggesting keeping the same ssid across board is better option then having each band have it on. Do you have 86 using Merlin? It will be great to know your settings for bands. Like for 2.4 should I leave it to only 20mhz and auto channel and for 5 should I leave to 20/40/80 and auto channel. Also, is it good to keep wirelss mode to auto or should I force only AC or N? BTW i just ordered me 86 on Amazon and can't wait to play around with it .. thank you

88u or 3100 would prolly give you best coverage and next to top of the line for reasonable price imo. My 3100 reaches way down the street at my neighbours barn other side of the road n can still netflix with adavancd settings set at 50% or balanced. Whatever that does now not sure but thought it was worth mentioning

I have 88u and it's working great. I'm using it as main router and basically all traffic is running through it and no hickups so far. I have 4 switches behind the router and about 15 devices connected to it. The trunk option is great if your setup is such that your NAS is nearby.

So your suggesting keeping the same ssid across board is better option then having each band have it on. Do you have 86 using Merlin? It will be great to know your settings for bands. Like for 2.4 should I leave it to only 20mhz and auto channel and for 5 should I leave to 20/40/80 and auto channel. Also, is it good to keep wirelss mode to auto or should I force only AC or N? BTW i just ordered me 86 on Amazon and can't wait to play around with it .. thank you
Just do as you feel better, all solutions will work, and some for special purposes even better.

If you want some devices only on 5G or only on 2G, than you need different SSID for 2G and 5G, but you allways can use them on AP-node too, makes it easier as you dont need to connect all devices once with each SSID.
Or you use for these devices guest-SSID, means one main SSID 2G/5G, one guest_2G in 2G guest setting and one guest_5G in 5G guest setting.
So you can have all devices on main SSID which shall work everywhere, or some connecting only to 2G or 5G using explicit guest-ssid.
I have it this way, but only for testing each band on each router/node.
Ususally all devices here are allowed to use main SSID either on 2G or 5G.
And I got a guest_friends for friends with easy password maybe changing every month with same guest SSID 2G and 5G too.

If you have lot of signals around let it in auto mode 20Mhz or test all channels if you get one performing better (faster) then the others.
But keep in mind if not auto, others can change their channel and you are fixed to whatever you set long time ago.
If others are not strong in your area you can set 40Mhz too, would double speed.
TEST it, nobody can say in advance whats will be best for you.
5G let it auto 20/40/80 and autochannel, probably the best for most home users.

And dont forget: clients connected to node even using guest SSIDs will allways be able to reach your intranet on main router !!!
If you dont want this you must disable guest SSIDs on nodes!
Aimesh wont make guest SSIDs too on nodes for same reason, so that wont help you either ...
Till now and maybe never (?) they did not tell anything about this issue or whether they will support guest in future Aimesh.

Last edited:
I have never run different SSIDs for the bands. Why bother.
The 86u handles single SSID and client pushing to 5GHz fine and there's a heap of options around that even in Merlin (Smart Connect). You only lose AIMesh with Merlin but they're working on it.

Leave all the wireless settings on Auto. It works fine.

Don't over complicate it.

Just get the 86u, and run stock if you need AIMesh, Merlin if you don't.

Simple.

Also, never leave WAN Remote Access on. That's asking for trouble. Use VPN instead.

Last edited: