What's new

Need help-- Routers for Teaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TaranScorp

Occasional Visitor
I want to setup a router for Dual Band-Teaming

I'm thinking of buying a Asus RT-AC68U or a NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800

Is one better for a Teaming setup?

Or you guys and gal's have any suggestions?

Please explain what you mean by "Dual Band-Teaming". AFAIK that's not a thing.

Do you mean Ethernet link aggregation?

AFAIK the RT-AC68U doesn't support link aggregation. I don't know about the Netgear.

You seem to be getting your words mixed up. There's no such thing as "Dual Lan". Your previous post said "Dual WAN", and in post #5 you said LAN.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

The router has a dual wan option- that go out of two lan ports. In the Dual wan setup asks for what to use as second wan it has three options and one of them is Ethernet Lan. with my motherboard I have two jacks and software drivers to set up for link aggregation . Individually computer shows them at 1GB When you set up aggregation you get a combined reading of 2GB. Just trying to get more download speed.

with my motherboard I have two jacks and software drivers to set up for link aggregation . Individually computer shows them at 1GB When you set up aggregation you get a combined reading of 2GB. Just trying to get more download speed.
You would need all of the following:

a) a router that supports link aggregation on 2 LAN ports using LACP or 802.3ad. The RT-AC68U doesn't support this.
b) 2 internet feeds in excess of 1Gbps (combined).
c) The RT-AC68U only has gigabit Ethernet ports therefore you would need to bond (or dual-WAN) two of them together to get more than 1Gbps.

You would need all of the following:

a) a router that supports link aggregation on 2 LAN ports using LACP or 802.3ad. The RT-AC68U doesn't support this.
b) 2 internet feeds in excess of 1Gbps (combined).
c) The RT-AC68U only has gigabit Ethernet ports therefore you would need to bond (or dual-WAN) two of them together to get more than 1Gbps.
I don't fully understand "b) 2 internet feeds in excess of 1Gbps (combined)" I have my modem going into one port into the router.

I don't fully understand "b) 2 internet feeds in excess of 1Gbps (combined)" I have my modem going into one port into the router.

You need to be paying for 2 (two) ISP services, each with 1Gbps service to benefit from Link Aggregation from what you now have. When done in addition to the other requirements listed by ColinTaylor.

I'm pretty sure you output two lan ports from the router then into the two on my computer
when I setup the link aggregation software drivers on my computer I get a third adapter that shows 2GB instead of the 1GB on the other two adapters

I'm pretty sure you output two lan ports from the router then into the two on my computer
when I setup the link aggregation software drivers on my computer I get a third adapter that shows 2GB instead of the 1GB on the other two adapters
For this to work the 2 LAN ports on the router must also support link aggregation - they don't.

I'm on the internet right now to find a router that has link aggregation the Asus RT-AC88U has link aggregation

Last edited:
Unless your internet feed is greater than 1Gbps LAN link aggregation won't improve your download speeds.

Side note: You can setup a "teamed" adaptor on your PC and plug the two cables into a switch that doesn't support link aggregation. However in this situation the throughput of both connections cannot be combined (aggregated). A single network connection will still only use one link or the other. It also cannot provide proper load balancing. It can be used for fail-over/redundancy purposes though.

Ok, I've got it down to these routers with link aggregation

Nighthawk R8500 (Discontinued) maybe Ebay 200.00
TP-Link AC3150 (Archer C3150 v2) $141.00
Asus RT-AC88U $239.99

I'm leaning towards the Asus but I like the price on the TP-Link
The Netgear could be had for lower on ebay, but it will be used or open box.

You guys and gals have any insights on these brands?
Or a choice

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!