What's new

Need help setting up QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blackfyre

Occasional Visitor
Is there any way at all that I can limit all WiFi devices together? Bulk WiFi limit.

For example, I would like to limit all WiFi devices to use maximum 85% download bandwidth total between them (leaving always a 15% headroom) and 70% upload bandwidth total.

While the LAN to download and upload up to 95% of the total.

The issue I have is there are more than 30 devices connected in our large home, and the limit to do individually is 30 devices. This is why I want to QoS all WiFi devices as a BULK and LAN connections by themselves.

Also I tried to limit using traditional QoS and devices one by one, upload was limited but download was not limited on both my phone and the PC LAN, they were using maximum download speed, not the value I have set. I just read online that this might be because of IPV6 and QoS does NOT work with IPV6 and it needs to be disabled? Is that it?

If you apply Bandwidth Limiters or use Traditional QoS your router's WAN-LAN throughput will be limited to 200-350Mbps depending on the model. Both features are NAT acceleration incompatible. Home routers with weak CPUs rely heavily on it. Your router won't be Gigabit capable anymore. If you don't need IPv6 and you have it enabled expect QoS issues, non-working IPv4 only firmware features and IPv6 data leaks, if you don't know what are you doing.

If you apply Bandwidth Limiters or use Traditional QoS your router's WAN-LAN throughput will be limited to 200-350Mbps depending on the model.

Which models don't suffer from this cap/limit? In case of a future upgrade to 1Gbps

No home All-in-One router can do Gigabit with CPU packet processing. You have to look at x86 hardware router/firewall options.

If anyone from ASUS is reading this, or if anyone is aware of a router system that allows me to do this, I am willing to switch to whatever company that has it.

A very simple QoS needs to be added. I should be able to do:

All LAN devices = 100% Download 100% Upload

All WiFi devices = 80% Download 80% Upload

Simple and done, that allows all consoles and PC's connected to the router via LAN to easily maintain stable pings while others in the house, be it guests or users, on WiFi use the internet freely. That 20% headroom is more than enough, or whatever value the user wants to set.

This is important because having a 30-device limit on QoS is stupid when MAC address randomisation is a thing and devices keep changing their mac addresses these days, unless set to otherwise.

Again, if anyone is aware of any router company that allows me to do the above, please let me know.

Or maybe Merlin can somehow add a new QoS feature that allows us to do wide limit on all WiFi devices and/or all LAN devices.

You need business class equipment to apply proper QoS and limiters per interface and be able to process Gigabit traffic.

How many of your Wi-Fi devices can reach Gigabit on Wi-Fi? You already have sort of technology limiter there. Limit the channel width to 80MHz and very few AX devices can reach 850Mbps close to the router. Limit the radio to AC and very few can reach 600Mbps close to the router. Your wired devices will have up to 940Mbps up/down, eventually. Isn't it what do you want?

You need business class equipment to apply proper QoS and limiters per interface and be able to process Gigabit traffic.

How many of your Wi-Fi devices can reach Gigabit on Wi-Fi? You already have sort of technology limiter there. Limit the channel width to 80MHz and very few AX devices can reach 850Mbps close to the router. Limit the radio to AC and very few can reach 600Mbps close to the router. Your wired devices will have up to 940Mbps up/down, eventually. Isn't it what do you want?

Not currently using Gigabit, we change per month basis, so during the 2 to 3 months school holidays for the kids, when everyone is at home, so starting end of this month we'll switch to Gigabit or 250Mbps, most of the other months we just use 100Mbps which is more than enough. But the period between 4pm and 9pm is usually traffic heavy too.

So, let's forget Gigabit connection, 250Mbps should be easy to achieve as the Hardware acceleration you mentioned earlier should only impact 300Mbps+

It would be nice if the router had an option to limit per interface, I wish there was option that allows per interface limitations. Interface being LAN or WiFi, etc.

What type of business class equipment would be needed to do limits per interface? Is there no consumer routers that allow something so simple?

LAN = 100%
WiFi = 80%

Last edited: