What's new

Need help to save my sanity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JeeJoo

New Around Here
Need help setting up DIR-655 behind WRT54GS (tomato)

Okay I have a WRT54GS v2 (running Tomato), a SLM2008 Cisco/Linksys Gigabit Switch and now a DIR-655 Gigabit Wireless N Router.

The WRT54GS is in the living room acting as the Gateway and my Gigabit capable Media Center PC is wired to it.

In the office I have the SLM2008 with two Gigabit capable PCs connected to it which is wired to the WRT54GS in the living room.

I also have a printer, an iBook, a Macbook Pro and a Wii all using wireless through the WRT54GS

I added the DIR-655 into the environment because I want everything in the LAN that is Gigabit capable to be able to transfer files around to each other as fast as possible, and I have a new Macbook Pro that I want to take advantage of the wireless N. All things my trusty WRT54GS can not do since it is just 100Mb.

I would like to be able to leave the WRT54GS running tomato as my Gateway to the Cable Modem and Firewall and DHCPd etc. Attach the new DIR-655 to that and then the media center PC and the SLM2008 to the DIR-655 and then have all the wireless clients in the house connect to the DIR-655 so if they are N capable they will get max speed too.

Basically the WRT54GS will just handle Internet traffic in and out and maybe a Wii wirelessly in the DMZ. I like all the ssh/tunneling/vpn goodies on the Tomato based WRT and don't want to give them up.

Last edited:
Thanks for those links thiggins!

With the guidance provided in those links I think I have it set up like I wanted; WAN->WRT54GS->DIR-655 with the DIR-655 acting as the Wireless AP and the Media PC and SLM2008 connected to the DIR-655.

One more question... If I have the Gateway WRT54GS acting as my DHCP for the LAN will the computers connected to the downstream DIR-655 pass traffic to each other using only the Gigabit speeds provided for by the DIR-655 and the SLM2008? Or will having the WRT54GS providing the IP addresses through its DHCP interfere with this?

Thanks again.

The WRT54GS will not interfere with the speed of devices connected to the DIR-655's Gigabit switch unless they communicate with the Internet or any devices connected to the WRT54GS' 10/100 switch. In that case, the Gigabit devices will temporarily switch to 100 Mbps, then switch back to using Gigabit when communicating with other Gigabit devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!