What's new

Need help turning a Router into just an Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

msjpt

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

On my network I have a Draytek 2130 router that has no wireless and now I need to have wireless on my office. I know I can just buy a access point and connect it to my Draytek router, but in order to save costs, and also because I have an extra wireless router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, im thinking on turning this wireless router into a access point.

I have already found on the web, instructions on how to turn my router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router on a access point. I also now that it should connect directly LAN to LAN to my Draytek router.

Because im a novice on this kind of network setups, I need some help and advices. Bellow I leave my questions:

1- Regarding turning my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Router into just an Access Point, will this work ok? Or will be better for be to buy a dedicated Access Point? Pros vs Cons?

2- Regarding DHCP, its turned OFF on my Draytek router, because all devices on my network use a manual static IP configuration. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn DHCP, ON or OFF?

3- Regarding Firewall, its turned ON on my Draytek router. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn the Firewall, ON or OFF?

4- If on the previous question (question 2), your response / advice was for me to leave the Firewall on the TP-Link access point turned ON, should I set some kind of extra settings on my network, in order for both the Draytek 2130 router and the TP-Link access point Firewalls can be both turned ON without conflict or problems? Should I set the TP-Link access point as a DMZ on the Draytek router? Should I open any extra ports? Please advice me on this to ensure maximum security and performance.

5- Regarding UPnP, its turned ON on my Draytek router. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn the UPnP, ON or OFF?

6- Regarding IP settings, the Draytek router uses: 192.168.1.1. So on the TP-Link access point should I use 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.30? Or should I use an, IP from a different class, as for example: 192.168.2.1?

If to respond to any of my question you need any further information, fell free to ask.

Thanks

Hi,

On my network I have a Draytek 2130 router that has no wireless and now I need to have wireless on my office. I know I can just buy a access point and connect it to my Draytek router, but in order to save costs, and also because I have an extra wireless router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, im thinking on turning this wireless router into a access point.

I have already found on the web, instructions on how to turn my router TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router on a access point. I also now that it should connect directly LAN to LAN to my Draytek router.

Because im a novice on this kind of network setups, I need some help and advices. Bellow I leave my questions:

1- Regarding turning my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Router into just an Access Point, will this work ok? Or will be better for be to buy a dedicated Access Point? Pros vs Cons?

2- Regarding DHCP, its turned OFF on my Draytek router, because all devices on my network use a manual static IP configuration. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn DHCP, ON or OFF?

3- Regarding Firewall, its turned ON on my Draytek router. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn the Firewall, ON or OFF?

4- If on the previous question (question 2), your response / advice was for me to leave the Firewall on the TP-Link access point turned ON, should I set some kind of extra settings on my network, in order for both the Draytek 2130 router and the TP-Link access point Firewalls can be both turned ON without conflict or problems? Should I set the TP-Link access point as a DMZ on the Draytek router? Should I open any extra ports? Please advice me on this to ensure maximum security and performance.

5- Regarding UPnP, its turned ON on my Draytek router. So on the TP-Link access point, should turn the UPnP, ON or OFF?

6- Regarding IP settings, the Draytek router uses: 192.168.1.1. So on the TP-Link access point should I use 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.30? Or should I use an, IP from a different class, as for example: 192.168.2.1?

If to respond to any of my question you need any further information, fell free to ask.

Thanks
In theory, any WiFi router can be configured to be an access point (AP). A WiFi router is simply a router and an AP in one box. So you disable/don't use the router and WAN part.
There's a FAQ on this:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point
And you can search the top level SNB site (and this forum too).
Don't forget to disable DHCP and don't use the WAN port.

I use a $35 ASUS RT-N12D1 which has an AP mode. I used to use a Linksys router as an AP but for some reason I couldn't cure, it would hang every week or so. Perhaps a hardware problem.

You might also want to add...that since the router's are being connected switch to switch, one of them must support Auto MDI/MDI-X(auto crossover) to use a patch cable between them or else you must use a crossover cable. Just about all modern routers support auto crossover, so it is pretty rare these days to run into such a need for a crossover cable.

You might also want to add...that since the router's are being connected switch to switch, one of them must support Auto MDI/MDI-X(auto crossover) to use a patch cable between them or else you must use a crossover cable. Just about all modern routers support auto crossover, so it is pretty rare these days to run into such a need for a crossover cable.

My main router is a Draytek 2130 and the router that i turn into a Access Point is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND.

I think both this routers support "Auto MDI/MDI-X (auto-crossover). So i will not need a crossover cable. I can connect them to eac other using regular network CAT6 cable, correct?

Thanks

yes, LAN port to LAN port via cat5/6 cable.
Be sure to read the article whose URL is above.

Since APs are usually some distance away from the WiFi router, for coverage reasons, people that cannot run ethernet cable to the AP use either IP on powerline (HomePlug, et al), or MoCA (IP on existing TV coax). There is a forum section on those technologies.

If you want it as just an access point, connect LAN to LAN and since you are using static IPs, just turn DHCP off, though it shouldn't really matter either way since no devices will attempt to be assigned IPs that are in use, since all devices are set with static IPs (I personally mix. All of my "appliances" (routers, switches, etc) are static and all of my computers, phones, tablets, etc are allowed dynamic IPs).

That's it. No worries on any firewall stuff or anything else as that is only handled on the WAN port.

... I personally mix. All of my "appliances" (routers, switches, etc) are static and all of my computers, phones, tablets, etc are allowed dynamic IPs).

Hi azazel1024,

Thanks for your advice. Mixing appliances with Statis IP's and Computers and Mobile Devices with Dinamic IPs seems the perfect solution.

Can i do this with my Draytek 2130 Router? If yes, can you explain in a simple way to me how can i do it?

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!