What's new

Need help understanding VLANs and whether I need them

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EngChi

Regular Contributor
Looking to update/revamp my home network with goals of isolation/increased security. Also would like to figure out if I can solve dependency on domain controller (when I reboot W2012 server PC internet access stops)

Have 3 'groups' of devices
1. Windows domain consisting of W2012E server plus 4 computers (game PC, work PC, 2 laptops). I want for this to see each other, be able to print to networked printer, and see media on the NAS, have access to internet

2. Media set - Synology NAS, 2 media players (Shield +Amazon Fire TV), Denon AVR, Linux workstation hosting Plex, networked media tuner (HDHR). I want for these to see each other, and have access to internet. I don't want for these to connect to Windows domain or be able to communicate with it

3. Internet access only devices (obihai adapters ,etc). I don't want to these to see anything internally.

Not sure whether all mobile devices are in group 2 or 3 yet.

So, are VLANs an answer to what I want to do? I am trying to read up on what I should expect domain controller to do vs some other device.

Current config
ISP -> Mikrotik Hex 3 (router) -> dumb switch

Intended config
ISP -> hex 3 (or Unifi security gateway if I understood its purpose correctly) -> Unifi Switch (for wired) + Unifi AC (for wireless).

thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!