What's new

Need help with figuring out how to increase speed on Orbi satellite setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I have a friend that has an Orbi RBK50 with a RBK40 satellite added to the system. She had her nephew install 2 Amplifi Meshpoint HDs to the network. Over time, her Internet speeds have deteriorated from being able to stream media in her terrace to it freezing all the time. She has asked me to try to restore her internet speeds throughout the property so she can stream media again.

She has 500 mbps fiber with 50 upload. I have tested the speed where her modem is and there is no problems there. Directly below that room is the terrace where the speed is in the 10-20mbps range at the most. There is an Orbi directly next to the TV. It shows a blue ring when it connects to the main Orbi but i still cannot get the speed past that point. I have also used a wired connection via TP-Link P9 system and the speed is still that slow.

The property is made out of reinforced concrete. She cannot run CAT-5e between the top floor where the modem is and downstairs due to squirrels eating the cables in the past.

What kind of things should I try to get this issue resolved? I have done a factory reset of the Orbis, only used the Orbis on the network (Meshpoints and the RBK40 not plugged it), and cannot get the speed higher than 10-20mbs downstairs. Can you recommend another else to try? I am really at a loss because it used to work fine streaming - I saw it many times in the past and it worked fine.

What kind of gremlins should I try to resolve the issue?

What kind of things should I try to get this issue resolved? I have done a factory reset of the Orbis, only used the Orbis on the network (Meshpoints and the RBK40 not plugged it), and cannot get the speed higher than 10-20mbs downstairs. Can you recommend another else to try? I am really at a loss because it used to work fine streaming - I saw it many times in the past and it worked fine.

I think the way to attack this is to think about "what changed?"

It surely wasn't the reinforced concrete ;). The other ideas that come to mind are that there's some new source of radio interference, or that Netgear broke things with one of their forced firmware updates. (Can anyone think of other theories?)

If it's an interference problem, you could try to locate and remove the interference source, or you could try to dodge it by switching the Orbis to a different WiFi channel for backhaul.

You already tried resetting the units, which is about the only recourse you have if the problem is a firmware issue. The alternatives then would be to hope that their next forced firmware update resolves the issue, or to swear off Netgear and buy some other hardware. (I've gone down the latter path within the last year, so forgive me if I sound negative.)