What's new

Need help with Home Network - File, Printer, AV share et all

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anshulkwatra

New Around Here
Dear SNB,

I need help in setting up a home network and following are my expectations with it

1.0 Expectations
1.1 Existing IPTV to work flawlessly (as it is now)
1.2 Share internet with all the devices (2 laptops, 1 desktops, 2 BBs, 1 iPod and guest machines)
1.3 Share AV and data within the network (Pictures, Movies - SD and HD, Music, Files and Documents)
1.4 Share the printer

2.0 Existing Resources/Setup
2.1 ISP provided and configured ADSL modem-wifi router (Binatone ADSL2+ DT845W - looks like http://www.ebay.in/itm/BINATONE-ADS...4?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item1c2a7ca60e) - I have the passwords and manage this
2.2 Cat5 cable connecting the IPTV STB and Iomega IConnect
2.3 Iomega Iconnect (http://go.iomega.com/en/products/ne...ion/network-hard-drive-iconnect/?partner=4750)
2.4 Scanner-cum-printer connected to Iomega Iconnect
2.5 Plenty of hard disks connected ti Iconnect
2.6 Laptops, desktops, BBs and iPod connected on wifi

3.0 About the house
3.1 This is multi-floor concrete house (very old construction, therefore the scope to wire up is lower)
3.2 Covered area would be around 2000 sqft per floor (2 1/2 floor)
3.3 Presently the wifi router is installed in the central location of the ground floor
3.4 Iconnect is installed in a SOHO location on the first floor

4.0 Present issues
4.1 Presently the wifi nearly drops off towards the periphery of the GF and is only present around the central location of FF. It is nearly not present in the SOHO
4.2 In the present setup file sharing etc on the network does not work as can get upto 5 mbps while writting to a network location (tested using the Lan Speed Test) and read speed is ZERO
4.3 Cant seem to be able to get the video files sitting in the HD connected to IConnect played on a network connected laptop
4.4 Router sometime just fails to let new computers join the network or even existing computer surf if they do not have an active connection

5.0 Ideas
5.1 Option 1: Add a wifi router to FF location before the iconnect and use as a repeater to ISP router
5.2 Option 2: Add a wifi router to FF location before the iconnect, use that as a primary DHCP and wifi with GF (ISP provided modem-router) as a repeater for wifi and DHCP (i dont think I know how to do this)
5.3 Option 3: Add a range extender on FF
5.4 Suggested options

I need help to be solve the challenge (definitely there would be multiple answers to this)

Thanks in advance
Anshul

Looks like you write technical info sheets you have everything so organized in you first post.

I take it your overseas right?
Any open areas of your dwelling?
What type of hardware for network you have in place now?
You might have to get out a professional network Survey team to give you estimate on what you really need in your dwelling.

@tipstir, thanks for the comment

1. I am not a techie, just a non-IT PM and Six Sigma guy, who has thought about the problem a couple of times
2. Yes, I am not based in US, but in India
3. Open areas - GF has open garden in front and open backyard. FF has a front and back verandah. However, getting network in open areas on FF could be difficult. Having a stable, strong and capable network in work and home areas would be enough
4.1 Network components - limited to a single modem-cum-router provided by the ISP (details in the first post - it is a Binatone ADSL2+ DL845W - the router is not capable of flashing using DD-WRT. This is definitely a weak link in the chain. DHCP often does not let new equipment login, LAN performance is poor - last tested with Lan Speed Test write was 5 mbps and read was 0 mbps.

4.2 Network bandwidth consumers - 2 laps, 1 desktop, 2 bb, 1 ipod, 1 iConnect, couple of guest machines

4.3 Network consumption in order of consuming order - a) IP TV - working fine within the present setup b) Regular net surfing, email etc c) Movie/software downloads

5. Network survey team - havent heard about any for SOHO or residential consumers

Thanks in advance
Anshul

I would give powerline a try. With concrete construction, you are going to have problems with wireless no matter how many repeaters you throw at it.

If you are determined to try, however, you should move up to 802.11n for the main access point and any repeaters/bridges you try. This will give you more bandwidth to work with than the Binatone's wireless, which is 802.11b/g.

You can use any wireless router and convert it to an access point. How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point

Since the Iomega iConnect is already 802.11n, you might get enough additional bandwidth from connecting it to an N AP vs. b/g to make non HD streaming possible.

To give yourself as much bandwidth margin as possible, use three-stream N. I'd give a pair of ASUS RT-N66U's a shot.

Thanks for the inputs

Thanks @Tim for your views. Will definitely give it a shot. Incidently, a friend also had the same challenge, we discussed your opinions and most probably his network may get tested with the changes earlier. Will update the forum with results.

Once again thanks for the opinion.

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

Thanks @Tim for the ideas and suggestions.

I have experimented in the direction mentioned by you. I have installed an entry level 300MbpsN router from TP-Link (http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...outer/p/itmd7hn9cw5y3h3k?pid=RTRD7HN3JJYF6WN2) on one the floors. Havent been able to spend much time with the set up or testing (will do probably this weekend) but early testing I did, I was able to stream SD movies. With LAN Speed Test (http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html), it tested 20 mbps each side for data transfer when checked from my laptop at the other end of the house.

Thanks for the guidance and this really helped. I hope with more knowledge and experience around the network, I should be able to optimise and stabilise the network.

Thanks in advance.
Anshul Kwatra

Last edited:
Dear All,

Thanks for your support all along. Just an update - I was able to watch a 720p movie over the network on the weekend with both the iConnect (having the hard disk with the movie) and the laptop being connected on the wifi. There only a couple of seconds when the screen was pixalated, otherwise overall the experience was pleasurable.

Is there a specific method or metric for measurment of QoS? Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

Dear Experts,

Updates on an old thread...to maintain consistency in communication.

The network has grown organically and have several components now. A map enclosed

Knet.jpg

Need guidance from the experts with the following observations:

1. I have reached the limit on storage my hard disks can offer on Iomega Iconnect - how do I expand - NAS is an option (maybe something like Synology 216play) as mostly a) consumer videos on the TV and b) in the future have a private cloud storage for files - move off the multiple file sharing platforms

2. While watching videos, they do tend to buffer, how to I improve the same?

3. I have several calls with screen share on Zoom.info; how I ensure I get the best performance for the calls while the rest of the family can also continue using the network for their pleasure?

Experts I am looking at guidance; and I have not been able to share enough information on aspects which will help guide me, please do let me know and I can share. Thanks.

Thanks as always for the great help
Anshul

I need help to be solve the challenge (definitely there would be multiple answers to this)

Thanks in advance

Can't fix everything here - but I do want to say - nice job on the structured requirements...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!