What's new

Need help with home networking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnnyS.

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone new to this forums,

I want to know the best way I can improve my network situation. I believe this belongs here not sure but I have questions about WiFi as well and I hope that it can be helped. My house is a two story house and our router + modem is downstairs. It was installed there by the ISP but when the house was being built we asked to install cabling to certain rooms. I want to utilize those not all of them is necessary I mainly only want the one that is near my PS4. The access panel is upstairs in the laundry room in which this brings my first problem. How am I supposed to cable these things if my router is downstairs and there is not much room to fit a router in there. I only have some type of knowledge but someone told me a switch would be used however I do not know what and where I would put that. Another problem is my WiFi barely reaches upstairs. I am supposed to be getting 80-100 on GHz but 5GHz gets about 20 upstairs and disconnects often (signal strength is low). 2ghz should be fine however I see the same problems where the signal is low and the highest I can get is 60 and the lowest is 5 which I assume causes lag to me on my laptop upstairs in my room. I want to also improve our wifi experience upstairs but I assume this will belong in the other section.

try not to cross post since this is an integrated system question. Please post picture and a sketch of what you have and what your layout looks like.
What did the ISP run for cables to the other rooms ?
If you have CAT5e or CAT6, to the right locations, then is will be trivial.

Show where all your Ethernet drops are located as well as where you have coaxial running in your home.

The floor plan besides all the cabling locations and where your wiring cabinet. Show where your modem router is and is and where you want to improve your WiFi. Also indicate if your wiring cabinet has an AC power outlet or if there is an outlet nearby.

As degrub stated if your home is well wired then the fix will be trivial. With the right wiring setup it won't be necessary for your to install the modem and/or router in the wiring cabinet.

Hello all,
Thank you for the replies, will close the other post then and leave this here. To answer some of the questions, The cables installed during the house being built phase are cat5e, and runs into 3 places. Check homelayout.jpg for details. In that picture I tried my best to show you how the design is and where the weak spots are. There are also pictures of the router and modem if you needed that and where that connects to, to the wall.
Edit- I want to improve WiFi for my laptop upstairs to improve my gaming experience and as well and phone video streaming when relaxing on the bed watching youtube. It is inconsistent in when it wants to be goo or not but signal goes up and down. The green swerve line under my laptop indicates decent signal but sometimes it goes up and down, inconsistent. Usually decent enough to play with decent ping but may suffer from high ping spikes. The area where my mom's setup is has good enough coverage but could be better, I think that is really the only place where the 5ghz would be decent enough to use.
Here are the pictures:
IMG_20190629_143956[1].jpg

IMG_20190629_144025[1].jpg

homelayout.jpg

Since you have an ethernet port upstairs ( i assume it works), just add a 5 port gigabit, full duplux, non-blocking, unmanaged switch there. connect a short ethernet cable between the wall port and one of the switch ports. get a wireless AC access point (no need for wireless router), connect and ethernet cable from it to the switch. Mount it on the ceiling at least 3 ft away from a wall if you can. Otherwise you can try having it sit flat on top of a bookcase. Wall mount is another possibility as long as it is along the wall with the three red Xs or the opposite parallel wall.

If you need more than 4 devices + wall connection,, then get an 8 port switch.
Don't forget you will need two plug openings available, so may need a plug bar.

You may need to turn off the 2.4 Ghz radio in the new AP to avoid conflict with your existing 2.4 GHz downstairs.

You may be able to get an AC AP with 4 ethernet ports if you need no more than 3 other hardwired devices.

Since you have an ethernet port upstairs ( i assume it works), just add a 5 port gigabit, full duplux, non-blocking, unmanaged switch there. connect a short ethernet cable between the wall port and one of the switch ports. get a wireless AC access point (no need for wireless router), connect and ethernet cable from it to the switch. Mount it on the ceiling at least 3 ft away from a wall if you can. Otherwise you can try having it sit flat on top of a bookcase. Wall mount is another possibility as long as it is along the wall with the three red Xs or the opposite parallel wall.

If you need more than 4 devices + wall connection,, then get an 8 port switch.
Don't forget you will need two plug openings available, so may need a plug bar.

You may need to turn off the 2.4 Ghz radio in the new AP to avoid conflict with your existing 2.4 GHz downstairs.

You may be able to get an AC AP with 4 ethernet ports if you need no more than 3 other hardwired devices.

The Ethernet port upstairs next to my mom's setup does not work I tried it before. The panel in the laundry looks like this maybe this can help:
IMG_20190629_162429.jpg
IMG_20190629_162452.jpg

Would I have to connect the switch to one of these ports? Confused right now

I'm not familiar with the piece of equipment in your network cabinet but it may only be for telephone connections.

Do you have land line telephones in your home?

If the cables are Cat5e then some or all of them can be reterminated at both ends and then used for data.

You didn't show where the coaxial cables shown in the box are terminated. If you don't have Ethernet capable cables where needed coaxial with MOCA adapters could be used.

Does the cable coming into your home terminate pass through your network cabinet?

I'm not familiar with the piece of equipment in your network cabinet but it may only be for telephone connections.

Do you have land line telephones in your home?

If the cables are Cat5e then some or all of them can be reterminated at both ends and then used for data.

You didn't show where the coaxial cables shown in the box are terminated. If you don't have Ethernet capable cables where needed coaxial with MOCA adapters could be used.

Does the cable coming into your home terminate pass through your network cabinet?

We don't need land line telephone we had that when we moved but quickly returned it because there was no point. Parents got it because it was free, I assume that what that thing is something for landline. i assume this is what you are talking about the coaxial cable. There is a box outside but not much from it just an orange cable then the cables going into the wall. Maybe these pictures might help. Might be worth noting there are coaxial ports? are they called that? But there are 3 of them in the house one near the router where that original picture in my reply was. One in the master bedroom and one in the room near my mom's setup.

I assume those 3 coaxial cables are the 3 in the house and they get split into that 8 way splitter.
Here are pics:
IMG_20190629_165041.jpg
IMG_20190629_165046.jpg
IMG_20190629_165353.jpg

It doesn't look like the 8 way splitter is being used. There is a connection to the input but nothing on the outputs.

It does look like the 3 way splitter is being used. Do you have a cable modem and 2 or 3 TVs hooked up?

If you have 2 or 3 TVs hooked up you could always move the modem/router to a different location. Where are the CATV/coxial drops located?

Before you can improve your network you need to trace where both the coaxial and Cat5e cables coming from the wiring cabinet are terminated on the other end.

It doesn't look like the 8 way splitter is being used. There is a connection to the input but nothing on the outputs.

It does look like the 3 way splitter is being used. Do you have a cable modem and 2 or 3 TVs hooked up?

If you have 2 or 3 TVs hooked up you could always move the modem/router to a different location. Where are the CATV/coxial drops located?

Before you can improve your network you need to trace where both the coaxial and Cat5e cables coming from the wiring cabinet are terminated on the other end.
Just looking at it yeah there is nothing on the outputs dont know why. There is 2 Tv's hooked up but 3 in total ports that there can be. I dont think one is "activated" (dont know what that really means I had to call isp to come down to set it up) But the ones that are working are the one where my ps4 is located downstairs and upstairs nearby my moms setup. I dont really know where to look for the wiring are terminated, my time in this house I havent seen anything else unless its really hidden lol. Where would those be located normally?

the 1045 unit is a phone distribution panel. Look at the blue jacket on the cable and see if it says CAT5 or CAT 5e. Hopefully it says 5e.
do you use phones plugged into any of those wall ports ?
If not,
If you have an "ethernet port " on the wall near your modem/router, figure out which one of those blue cables goes to it. Figure out which one of those blue cables goes to the "ethernet port" upstairs that we were discussing. A ring/continuity tester for phone line checkout will do the job.

Then you will have to remove the connector ends at the wall and at the 1045 unit for those two cables. Re-terminate for ethernet and then you can do what we suggested.

As an alternate if one of those unused RG6 coax cables goes to a wall plate near the modem (not used by the modem) and one goes upstairs near the "ethernet" port, you could use MOCA to extend the ethernet upstairs and use an Actiontec modem + Actiontec AP extender to solve the issue. Depending on the cable tv provider, you may be able to just use moca2 modems on your own network using their cables. If it is digital cable tv, i may get complicated.

One way or the other you will be messing with some of those cables.
You could try a pair of powerline Av2 units, one pluged in close to the router and one upstairs - add the AC AP to the one upstairs and you would be a step up from where you are today.
Not as fast as the other solutions, but maybe good enough.

the 1045 unit is a phone distribution panel. Look at the blue jacket on the cable and see if it says CAT5 or CAT 5e. Hopefully it says 5e.
do you use phones plugged into any of those wall ports ?
If not,
If you have an "ethernet port " on the wall near your modem/router, figure out which one of those blue cables goes to it. Figure out which one of those blue cables goes to the "ethernet port" upstairs that we were discussing. A ring/continuity tester for phone line checkout will do the job.

Then you will have to remove the connector ends at the wall and at the 1045 unit for those two cables. Re-terminate for ethernet and then you can do what we suggested.

As an alternate if one of those unused RG6 coax cables goes to a wall plate near the modem (not used by the modem) and one goes upstairs near the "ethernet" port, you could use MOCA to extend the ethernet upstairs and use an Actiontec modem + Actiontec AP extender to solve the issue. Depending on the cable tv provider, you may be able to just use moca2 modems on your own network using their cables. If it is digital cable tv, i may get complicated.

One way or the other you will be messing with some of those cables.
You could try a pair of powerline Av2 units, one pluged in close to the router and one upstairs - add the AC AP to the one upstairs and you would be a step up from where you are today.
Not as fast as the other solutions, but maybe good enough.

No phones at all, returned because not needed. From my understanding what I should be doing is figuring out which cable goes where so I know which ones I should be looking at. Some questions, -where do I find this ring/continuity tester? -how does that work and is it hard to use?
I can probably be able to do it but it wont be for example done tomorrow. Re-terminate for ethernet means to fix the wiring such as the color order, I remember doing this once before in a class, dont think I got it right thought from my memory lol but I seen videos of people doing it. Thats possible for me. I'll ask about this method first then about the alternate.
One thing worth noting is that there is no ethernet port near the modem/router, what should I do then.
Not directly on topic but how come you put ethernet port on quotes, is it not called that? Sorry if it isnt im not super knowledgeable on the terms.

Make sure you figure out what type of phone cable you are working with before you do anything.

Ethernet over powerline may be the easiest way to resolve this if you don't have coax RG6 that you can use in the right locations. i would try that before i started re-terminating any phone line. Just make sure you can easily return the powerline modules without penalty if it doesn't work.

"No phones at all, returned because not needed. From my understanding what I should be doing is figuring out which cable goes where so I know which ones I should be looking at. Some questions, -where do I find this ring/continuity tester? -how does that work and is it hard to use?
"

If you are in the US, a Home Depot or Lowes would have them. Or you can find online. They have two parts - a tone generator device and a receiver device. You hook up one at one end of the cable and then go through the cables at the other end until you find the right one. There may be other devices that will do it for you as well that are based on electrical work, but you want something that can use the plug connections if possible.

"I can probably be able to do it but it wont be for example done tomorrow. Re-terminate for ethernet means to fix the wiring such as the color order, I remember doing this once before in a class, dont think I got it right thought from my memory lol but I seen videos of people doing it. Thats possible for me. I'll ask about this method first then about the alternate.
"

there are posts here as well about how to terminate CAT 5e to one of the standard connectors and what tools are recommended. You do need a good quality tool. Don't save a few bucks. Also available at the above stores.

"One thing worth noting is that there is no ethernet port near the modem/router, what should I do then.
"

Is there a spare RG6 coax cable within reach of an ethernet cable ?

"Not directly on topic but how come you put ethernet port on quotes, is it not called that? Sorry if it isnt im not super knowledgeable on the terms.
"

Because they are not until they are re-terminated. Currently they are phone outlets. Check the cable to see if it is CAT5 solid cable. It can be difficult to work with since the individual conductors break easily. Hopefully they used CAT5e stranded. You have to get the right crimp on connectors - stranded or solid conductor or one that will do both.

or you can get someone to do it for you.

Before anyone can propose a solution you need to do some detective work on your end. The best solution is to be able to utilize the blue cables for data and perhaps an additional AP. MOCA would be second best.

1. Buy a simple $10 cable checker that will check continuity and pinning on both coaxial and Cat5e cable. Then trace and label all your white coaxial and blue wiring. Be sure to test and find the white cable that is connected to the orange cable in your demarc. It also might be useful to test and determine where the white cables in the demarc without connectors run to within your home. For now ignore the fact that your blue cables will fail the pinning test as they are pinned for phone.

2. On your floor plan show the now identified cables and where they run.

3. Confirm that the outlet at the bottom of your wiring cabinet is connected to the mains and hot.

In the meantime you can relocate your modem/router to any location in your home where your have CATV or data service. Right now it appears that you have three locations with CATV or Data. An alternative location might give you better WiFi coverage.

Make sure you figure out what type of phone cable you are working with before you do anything.

Ethernet over powerline may be the easiest way to resolve this if you don't have coax RG6 that you can use in the right locations. i would try that before i started re-terminating any phone line. Just make sure you can easily return the powerline modules without penalty if it doesn't work.

I actually do have one of those, tried it on my PS4 but download speeds drastically dropped, never tried it upstairs though that was before I was playing upstairs. Just recently gave it to my friend will ask for it back see how that helps.

If you are in the US, a Home Depot or Lowes would have them. Or you can find online. They have two parts - a tone generator device and a receiver device. You hook up one at one end of the cable and then go through the cables at the other end until you find the right one. There may be other devices that will do it for you as well that are based on electrical work, but you want something that can use the plug connections if possible.

I can check Lowes, dad works there and he also gets a discount :)

there are posts here as well about how to terminate CAT 5e to one of the standard connectors and what tools are recommended. You do need a good quality tool. Don't save a few bucks. Also available at the above stores.

"One thing worth noting is that there is no ethernet port near the modem/router, what should I do then.
"

Is there a spare RG6 coax cable within reach of an ethernet cable ?

There is one near the PS4 that is connected to a tv receiver, If I put the modem/router there it should still work however will need a splitter to have the TV working as well and hey if that can happen then the ps4 can be connected directly to the router.

Because they are not until they are re-terminated. Currently they are phone outlets. Check the cable to see if it is CAT5 solid cable. It can be difficult to work with since the individual conductors break easily. Hopefully they used CAT5e stranded. You have to get the right crimp on connectors - stranded or solid conductor or one that will do both.

or you can get someone to do it for you.
Cables are confirmed CAT5e
Oh reply looks weird, bolded are my answers

Before anyone can propose a solution you need to do some detective work on your end. The best solution is to be able to utilize the blue cables for data and perhaps an additional AP. MOCA would be second best.

1. Buy a simple $10 cable checker that will check continuity and pinning on both coaxial and Cat5e cable. Then trace and label all your white coaxial and blue wiring. Be sure to test and find the white cable that is connected to the orange cable in your demarc. It also might be useful to test and determine where the white cables in the demarc without connectors run to within your home. For now ignore the fact that your blue cables will fail the pinning test as they are pinned for phone.

2. On your floor plan show the now identified cables and where they run.

3. Confirm that the outlet at the bottom of your wiring cabinet is connected to the mains and hot.

In the meantime you can relocate your modem/router to any location in your home where your have CATV or data service. Right now it appears that you have three locations with CATV or Data. An alternative location might give you better WiFi coverage.
1- What simple cable checker do you recommend?
I could change the router location but the only other spot I would really put it in is where the ps4 is, would have to get a splitter to have a coaxial connected to the tv receiver. I also have to deal with my parents not wanting me moving things around

1- What simple cable checker do you recommend?
I could change the router location but the only other spot I would really put it in is where the ps4 is, would have to get a splitter to have a coaxial connected to the tv receiver. I also have to deal with my parents not wanting me moving things around

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y75B5Y/?tag=snbforums-20

More expensive than I remembered but it works well for me. Can use for both coaxial and Ethernet. The $10 testers only check Ethernet cables only.

Hey everyone been a while but still am working. Been researching and noticing that I don't know where the terminated cables are. Was wondering if you guys knew common spots they would be on the house. I was thinking maybe it is hidden behind that telephone module as I see a picture about common cable termination methods on the area.

Man, we don’t live there
Seriously, you need a cable tester and you will have to do it one by one until you map them out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!