What's new

Need help with selecting a Modem and router for my apartment. my research and details in the post.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blackhatbandit3

New Around Here
Hi Everyone!

As the title pretty much suggests, I need some help with selecting a modem and router for my apartment. Here are the details:

1. Apartment size: about 700 sq ft. Here is a layout
  2. Past equipment: Archer CR700 Modem and Router Combo.
  3. Internet Speed: 300 Mbps. Optimum 300 plan.
  4. Budget: around $150
  5. Networking Skills: Novice at best. Can learn and implement quickly.
  6. Want to install a firewall at the modem or router level, and also ad blocks.
From my research on this sub and the internet, I have found that ASUS, TP-Link, and Ubiquiti are mostly recommended.

I recently purchased Netgear Nighthawk instead of ASUS AC1750. Big mistake. Going to return it ASAP.

I want a Router and Modem that can support the speeds, and have a decent range. If needed, I can buy an Access Point in the middle and configure it based on your recommendation. I need stable and fast speeds from one corner of the apartment to the other.

I want a modem and router that can be controlled via a browser and not an app. I find it an incredibly annoying set up to use an app. Also find that apps have very limited functionality.

My normal usage:

* TCL Roku smart TV
* Xbox
* Casting to Google Chromecast (sometimes)
* Gaming on PC
* Grad school classes over Zoom

No. of devices connected at any point = 2 Laptops, 2 cell phones, Xbox, TV, 2 Google Home Minis, 1 Alexa, and a printer. Might be adding a couple of Smart Home things in a couple of months.

I have connected the TV and Xbox via CAT6 ethernet to the router so that the load on the wireless network is as low as can be.

I am leaning towards an ASUS AC 1750 router or AC1900 router. Is this is a good choice? What Modem should I pair it with? Or what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Everyone!

As the title pretty much suggests, I need some help with selecting a modem and router for my apartment. Here are the details:

1. Apartment size: about 700 sq ft. Here is a layout
  2. Past equipment: Archer CR700 Modem and Router Combo.
  3. Internet Speed: 300 Mbps. Optimum 300 plan.
  4. Budget: around $150
  5. Networking Skills: Novice at best. Can learn and implement quickly.
  6. Want to install a firewall at the modem or router level, and also ad blocks.
From my research on this sub and the internet, I have found that ASUS, TP-Link, and Ubiquiti are mostly recommended.

I recently purchased Netgear Nighthawk instead of ASUS AC1750. Big mistake. Going to return it ASAP.

I want a Router and Modem that can support the speeds, and have a decent range. If needed, I can buy an Access Point in the middle and configure it based on your recommendation. I need stable and fast speeds from one corner of the apartment to the other.

I want a modem and router that can be controlled via a browser and not an app. I find it an incredibly annoying set up to use an app. Also find that apps have very limited functionality.

My normal usage:

* TCL Roku smart TV
* Xbox
* Casting to Google Chromecast (sometimes)
* Gaming on PC
* Grad school classes over Zoom

No. of devices connected at any point = 2 Laptops, 2 cell phones, Xbox, TV, 2 Google Home Minis, 1 Alexa, and a printer. Might be adding a couple of Smart Home things in a couple of months.

I have connected the TV and Xbox via CAT6 ethernet to the router so that the load on the wireless network is as low as can be.

I am leaning towards an ASUS AC 1750 router or AC1900 router. Is this is a good choice? What Modem should I pair it with? Or what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you for your help!

Asus routers new to old:

RT-AX86U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 (AC1900)

The oldest AC1900 routers do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you must configure different SSIDs per band... not a problem. And are approaching EOL sooner.

One AC86U would serve you fine.

The AX86U is WiFi 6 but not 6e, which is starting to arrive.

Third party firmware Asuswrt-Merlin is required for special features like router-based ad blocking. Consider the routers supported.

I'd get the AC86U. And a separate modem that works with your ISP.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!