What's new

Need help with topology and router selection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miserly

New Around Here
Howdy folks,

New to the forum and learning a lot. I have a modest 2 story house and recently was forced to switch ISP and relocate the modem/router location to one end of the house (going from wireless ISP to cable). Now that we are all home full time, school/work online all the time, this is more critical and very little tolerance for less than great wifi connections.
So, I'm considering a few options. Current situation is TP-Link AC1750 at the end of the house.
This isn't working for the other bedrooms on the other side of the house even though the distance nor construction are not great. So bedrooms away from the router have bad connection and the device in the garage doesn't even see the network.
Current plan.jpg

Future option 1 is rewire the cable to move the cable modem and router to central location on 1st floor. And replace the AC1750 with either TP-Link AX3000 or ASUS RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U if that'll help. I don't have any wifi6 devices, so the router upgrade is optional.
Future 1 plan.jpg

Future option 2 is same as 1, but also add some ethernet cables to upstairs to add some WAP, TP-Link AC1200 to be rock solid. In this situation, maybe keep the AC1750 if upgrading the router isn't necessary. This option is probably WAY overkill for the size of the house, but I have 600mb service via Comcast and don't want the wifi to the weak link. And cost isn't much more and running ethernet cables in the attic is easy, so I'm considering it.
Future 2 plan.jpg

I tried option 1 yesterday by connecting the cable modem and AX3000 router with long ethernet cable. That seemed to work fine. I also tried option 1.5 which was to add a single WAP at the middle of the ceiling on the 2nd floor. That also seemed to work OK.

Howdy folks,

New to the forum and learning a lot. I have a modest 2 story house and recently was forced to switch ISP and relocate the modem/router location to one end of the house (going from wireless ISP to cable). Now that we are all home full time, school/work online all the time, this is more critical and very little tolerance for less than great wifi connections.
So, I'm considering a few options. Current situation is TP-Link AC1750 at the end of the house.
This isn't working for the other bedrooms on the other side of the house even though the distance nor construction are not great. So bedrooms away from the router have bad connection and the device in the garage doesn't even see the network.View attachment 27953
Future option 1 is rewire the cable to move the cable modem and router to central location on 1st floor. And replace the AC1750 with either TP-Link AX3000 or ASUS RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U if that'll help. I don't have any wifi6 devices, so the router upgrade is optional. View attachment 27954
Future option 2 is same as 1, but also add some ethernet cables to upstairs to add some WAP, TP-Link AC1200 to be rock solid. In this situation, maybe keep the AC1750 if upgrading the router isn't necessary. This option is probably WAY overkill for the size of the house, but I have 600mb service via Comcast and don't want the wifi to the weak link. And cost isn't much more and running ethernet cables in the attic is easy, so I'm considering it.
View attachment 27956

I tried option 1 yesterday by connecting the cable modem and AX3000 router with long ethernet cable. That seemed to work fine. I also tried option 1.5 which was to add a single WAP at the middle of the ceiling on the 2nd floor. That also seemed to work OK.

A single RT-AC86U router high and central in the family room may do it. Wire the main media center to it.

Otherwise, add a second RT-AC86U upstairs and spread them apart for a wireless AiMesh.

The final topology depends on whether or not you move the ISP service. :)

OE

the best laid plans... so i don't have access to cable in the ceiling. i thought i would as i have a cable connection at the current router location.
option 1. leave router at far end of 2nd floor and try RT-AC86U.
option 2. order AT&T and install a new line coming into middle of house and use their PACE gateway option 2A. use my own RT-AC86U router!
i got 600mb on Comcast but AT%T says 1000mbs! :)

we've had a company called common networks in the bay area. a wide area mesh network, if you will. and because i didn't want to comcast and att, that got me to them and that worked fine. until last month when they announced they are pulling up stakes in our neighborhood. so my current situation of having to find a new isp and relocate the router.

thanks for your input OE.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!