What's new

Need Instructions on How to Open RT-AC68 Case

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just Checking

Regular Contributor
I have two RT-AC68 routers, one I purchased new more than 6 months ago and one I just purchased refurbished. The RT-AC68 I purchased new has always run hot (IMO) with a CPU temp at idle of 86 C. and temps under load exceeding 92 C. 2.4GHZ and 5GHz radio temps run 56 - 61 C. at the settings I use (110/120mW settings with Johns Fork ver 374.43_2-13E1). I do not overclock or run high power on my routers since reliability is my number one priority.

The second RT-AC68 that I just purchased refurbished has a CPU temp at idle of 70 C. which goes up to 74 C. under load. Radio temps are lower too at 47 C. for the 2.4GHz band and 51 C. for the 5GHz band.

I need instructions on how to remove the case to examine the heat sink seating on the first router to determine if the heat sink is warped or the screws are over-torqued on that router. Can anyone provide instructions or point me to a video on this. I did a search but didn't come up with anything for this router.

I know that other people have opened the case on these routers since they show photos of warped heat sinks. I just can't see where there are screws to remove and don't want to damage the case to get it open.

Thanks in advance.

Good news: there are many postings (search on my history) regarding the subject of heating and active cooling (fans).

There are 2 screws on the back under the tag sticker, one is up-left, another is down-right
You can do small hole through sticker.

There are 2 screws on the back under the tag sticker, one is up-left, another is down-right
You can do small hole through sticker.

Are the screws Phillips, Torx, Star, or Hex head? What size bit do I use? By "Under the Tag", are you referring to the center printed section of the back plate of the case?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!