What's new

Need network mapping ....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brossyg

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for a free program that will map my SOHO network. I have tried the Netgear Genie map and it is a little simplistic, and Spiceworks is a little too much and not free.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

Can you provide a bit more details on what your expectation is of "mapping"? What are you trying to get out of this? MAC addresses? IPs? Open ports? Vulnerabilities?

Fing won't draw a map. But it'll find all the devices on your network and tell you a lot about them.

It's my go-to for seeing what's on the network.

I would like to see a robust, but not overwhelming, table with all devices on the LAN, including IP address, MAC and device name, as well as a hierarchical map/diagram of the entire LAN (Router, 2 A/Ps, four switches and about 40 total devices.). Strangely, I would also like to also have robust device icons that are accurate (ASUS's (RT-AC88U) LAN table has a few lame device icons and only a few are for the correct device types).

The Netgear Genie map is cute, but too simplistic, as it doesn't show switches and incorrectly labels device types. I tried SpiceWorks once and it seems as if it is for a much larger LAN.

Are you trying to track local traffic or internet bound traffic? Internet traffic is tracked pretty well using pfsense and Untangle. If you are looking for local traffic for security then you need to lock up your equipment so when you are not there nobody can plug in. Use good passwords on your wireless.

One other option which is cheap is to run a syslog server. But you can get over whelmed with detail pretty easily.

It sounds like you are just looking for something to make a nice diagram of the network. Nothing to do with security or traffic. Correct?

Capturing switches in an automated tool generally is not a simple/easy task...especially if the switches are un-managed.

I am not aware of an automated tool that will do what you are asking....they may exist...I just don't know about them. To map my home network, I generally manually do it via Visio to capture where my main uplinks are to my router, FW, switches, APs, and major systems within the network. All of this is a manual process. The only automated tools I use are for discovery of MAC and IP addresses to confirm I do know all devices on my network.