What's new

need new router for 100/100 Mbit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZoltánF

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I`m seeking for a router that could help me out with my 100/100 (minimum) internet. Need for PLEX stream, Netflix, HBO go, torrent DL&UL. 1 PC, 3 mobilephone, 1 laptop, 1 tablet(maybe a NAS in 1 year period). Should be "future" proof as it can be now days. Phones, PC has AX on them, so can be ax route as well. not the HIGH end versions. Buget max 170 usd.
Thanks in advance

The RT-AX58U with RMerlin firmware v384.16_0 or later is calling...

:D

The RT-AX92U isn't supported by RMerlin firmware though. :)

First, don't feel compelled to have to go AX. Except for up to 2x more throughput in 2.4Ghz for AX clients only, all other "features" are basically vaporware, for at least the next year, potentially longer.

Second, even though you've got fiber, at 200Mb/s aggregate, you're probably going to want SQM QoS to keep bufferbloat at bay. An AX58U with Merlin should do decently enough in that department, and its 2x2 radios should be good enough for most clients, especially if your residence is on the smaller side. I'd test it at at DSLReports Speedtestest for download and upload, with no QoS enabled, just to collect actual speeds. Then enable fq_codel in Merlin QoS settings with those download and upload values. If bloat is a "B" or worse, test several more times after making sure your fiber gateway/ONT and all other upstream items are in-check. If it's still poor, exchange for a Netgear R7800, flash OpenWRT + SQM packages, configure with CAKE as your qdisc and you should get an A or A+ no problem. Or just do an R7800 straight away. Not giving up much at all; in fact you gain 4x4 radios for better receive sensitivity and real-world effective throughput over distance, for all AC and AX clients. But if you're leaning towards Merlin and Asus, give that a shot first. Not a ton of difference between the two platforms.

Or, if you don't want to monkey with any of the above and have something that "just works" out of the box, simply buy an Eero Pro tri-band base unit and toggle SQM to "on" in the Eero Labs section of the phone app. Done.

Speedtest is a fumy thing in that the harder you push data over your baseline the lower rating can be. If you limit your speed to baseline then the easier it is to get a better rating. I don't pay too much attention to ratings as I can tune for it or not. I now days tend to lean toward how fast can I go over baseline.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!