What's new

Need New Router- Only the best

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xxxfrogg

New Around Here
So, my netgear router just died and I am looking for a new router. Cost does not matter to me. Range and performance do. I do game, but not hardcore. I stream TV/ Movies exclusively (no Cable TV subscription) and will have maybe 20 devices connected to wifi, but not all on at once. The house is about 1800 SQ ft with thick old walls. I prefer to buy quality over quantity and am not ready to pursue a ORBI /Velop/ETC yet.

After doing a lot of research and reading the charts and reviews on here, I have about settled on a Netgear nighthawk X4S($199). If price is not a hindrance, is there a reason to go more expensive such as ASUS ROG GT AC5300($389) or Netgear Nighthawk X10($427)?

Thanks in advance.

Happened to own a Netgear X4S (twice) for couple of days but eventually replaced it with Asus RT-AC86U. The X4S is a good router overall but my main problem with it is the lack of VPN client feature out of the box. Yes, you can install an OpenVPN client in it using a thumb drive but making it work 24/7 (without interruption) is a another story (intermittent internet disconnection issues with OpenVPN). Things can get complicated from there (esp. for novice users) if we're talking sellective IP routing off OpenVPN tunnel, fixing intermittent disconnection, etc. (also we're talking getting SSH access on router farther down the line). OpenVPN speed on X4S is no way near as fast as RT-AC86U (the Asus router buries X4S is OpenVPN speed multiple times it's no match at all). The X4S is probably OK if you don't care about VPN but if you're planning to secure your network in the future then avoid the X4S at all costs.

thank you for the reply. i am definetly interested in a VPN in the future or soon. you have given me more to research. from my reading, it appears the Asus rt-AC86U has become a favorite, but what about the security issues that arrise from asus passing browsing data onto Trend Micro? wouldn't that defeat some of the vpn anonymous browsing? if you were going with asus, would you step up to a newer product?

i would research pfsense and open vpn implementations. There has been plenty of discussion here when the consumer routers are not up to the task.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!