What's new

need new wireless router/firewall for small biz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vafan13

New Around Here
Currently we have a cisco WRVS4400N (v1.1) as our main wireless router/firewall with 2 netgear prosafe switches and a prosafe AP on the other floor towards the other end of the building. These have all been here for years, since before my time.

The 4400n is either starting to get overloaded due to increased bandwidth usage or is starting to die (former is possible but I'm guessing it's the latter) as in the last few days it has begun to freeze multiple times a day requiring me to reset it or when I'm not there try to convince someone over the phone that resetting it is easy and they are more than capable of doing it.

An outside IT guy we work with on occasion suggested the Safewall TZ100w. I was also looking at the Cisco RV220W which looks pretty good though I wish the wireless was a little stronger (but I am assuming it's better than our current 4400n).

I have to admit that while I am much more knowledgeable with tech/computers in general than average I am not a trained network admin/IT professional so I'm hoping someone on here has more experience and can help lead me towards the right choice.

I'm almost wondering if the best option for me is to grab an e4200 and then also get a wired firewall to put between it and the rest of the network.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean the Sonicwall TZ100w. While this is a great firewall, it requires pretty good knowledge of networking to set up correctly. The wizards are helpful, but definitely not a do it yourself firewall.

I'm assuming you mean the Sonicwall TZ100w. While this is a great firewall, it requires pretty good knowledge of networking to set up correctly. The wizards are helpful, but definitely not a do it yourself firewall.

lol yep sonicwall. Yeah Ive heard they were complicated to set up. If we went that route I would have someone else take care of that part

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!