What's new

Need recommendation for an AX Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ganzo

New Around Here
So I know this is quite "undefined" but there are many good Cyber Monday deals on Asus and Netgear items and I don't have much clue which routers are fairly priced and "good".
I've considered finally getting rid of my ISP's router and have something that would last a while.
I previously considered going for the AX86U Asus because of Merlin's support but I've noticed the AX86U isn't supported and it doesn't seem like there's a future plan to.
In general I'm not a big fan of being bound to buying a specific router depending on whether a single developer will support it or not :)
Also, I've seen many people complain about Asus's latest routers dropping wifi (or connectivity in general).
Are there any router recommendation you can give me that answers the following:
1. Stable WiFi & great range
2. Reliable
3. Good customer support in-case of a faulty product
4. Good over-all documentation if I need to make changes or tweaks.
5. I use VPN but I'm ok with keeping it as a client on my PC and not using it with the router, but a planned wireguard support and hardware that can back it up will be fantastic (better plan ahead).

Price range is max 200 euros (230 USD?)

Thanks!
A router noob

Last edited:
Welcome router noob! :)

The RT-AX86U is supported by RMerlin magic.

#1 (snbforums.com)

Even if it is only at Alpha 4 right now.

#14 (snbforums.com)
These are very good news, I'm ok with sticking to stock firmware and upgrading when Merlin is out :)
Tempting!
Do you also have any other router recommendations?

RT-AX88U is fully supported. Also has an alpha firmware as well. It does great for a decent size home.

Doesn't it fall short in comparison to the AX86U? As far as I know from other threads and reviews.

These are very good news, I'm ok with sticking to stock firmware and upgrading when Merlin is out :)
Tempting!
Do you also have any other router recommendations?

Doesn't it fall short in comparison to the AX86U? As far as I know from other threads and reviews.
Actually it really depends on your needs. For my house size the AX88U is better plus i use the extra ethernet ports along with wan aggregation and Full-cone Nat. For a slightly smaller house the AX86U would have been my preferred route though. I also have GTAX11000. (For an overpriced router it does a decent job the biggest flaw is the price and it does not support RMerlin firmware.) Any thing below AX86U, I would consider lower end. You got the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U

Last edited:
@Ganzo, other than the Asus routers I mention in the two links above, no. :)

But the best ones to consider today are (in descending order):
  • RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U
  • RT-AC86U
  • RT-AX58U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC66U_B1

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, that may be so, but I don't have a lot of experience with that model.

In general, the 3 'radio/band' routers from the past have been more trouble than they are worth.

I'm hoping this will change for the better with Wi-Fi 6E (and true 3 radios and 3 bands, hardware).

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow, that may be so, but I don't have a lot of experience with that model.

In general, the 3 'radio/band' routers from the past have been more trouble than they are worth.

I'm hoping this will change for the better with Wi-Fi 6E (and true 3 radios and 3 bands, hardware).
The biggest flaw with it is the fact they over sell a band to only under sell the other. Basically if you want a weaker 2.4ghz, the extra 5ghz band is a decent compromise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!