What's new

Need some advice/feedback on home network design

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digital_alchemy

New Around Here
Didn’t see a thread about network design etc... so, I thought this thread would be the best fit… if not feel free to move it.

I’m planning to build out my home network and prefer wired connections everywhere I can get them. Just wanted to get a sanity check and advice on the design.

House is a 2 story with basement. I originally wanted to run about 4 drops to each room with all the cables converging to a central location in the basement into a single switch for simplicity; now, I believe that running that number of cables would be a huge pain even though we have the walls and floor currently opened up on the first floor for remodeling. I’m now thinking just run single drops to each area with additional switches in each location. Any real benefits of one vs the other?

I’ve made a diagram of what I’m thinking would be a decent design and attached it below.

Any advice for feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Home Network Design.jpg
    Home Network Design.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 522
Do it while the walls are open !
too many spots does not hurt. And it helps with significant others that are more concerned with appearance.

run cat 6 to each room with receptacles near (> 1 ft away) where you have power plugs. Run drops to ceiling area for APs up the wall and into the attic.

Make sure you use plenum grade cable and fill hole in wall fire stops (bottom plate, fire stop mid plate, and top plate(s) ) with intumescent caulk (fire stop caulk). Otherwise a fire in the lower floor will be drawn up and spread in seconds to the floors above through the hole.

You didn't provide the house layout, so cannot comment on placement otherwise. Depending on size and layout, you may want 2 APs on a floor at opposite ends, unless central can cover fully.

Since you have the walls open now is the time to take advantage of it. I would run at least 2 drops to each room now rather than later. If you have 1 drop go bad, you will hate yourself when you have to open up the wall again.

Using a switch is not a problem but it may cost you more money than running more drops. Pulling 1 wire vs 2 or 3 is not much different other than using more wire and plugs. I would terminate them all in one box in each room.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!