What's new

Need some expert advice on modem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanH

Regular Contributor
I have a Netgear CM600 modem, I used this modem with TWC. I then moved and now have Spectrum. When I try and get the modem activated the Spectrum system cannot see it.

There are two possible reasons I think for this:
1.) TWC flashed firmware on the modem, and this firmware is somehow making it incompatable with Spectrum.
2.) I have internet and phone, and the CM600 is internet only so that is messing it up. We don't use the phones, it was cheaper to get internet bundled with phone.

Any ideas on how to fix issue 1? Is there someway to get factory default firmware back on the modem, so spectrum will work? I have logged into the modem and done a reset to factory default in that, but the firmware stays the same.

some cable companies use mac filtering to only allow 1 device to connect to its network , did you get a supplied modem from the new isp ? you may need to ring the new company and have them register the cm600 on their system

Yeah the issue is even though they get my MAC and the modem on my end says it is connected, they can't see it. I have tried 4 times now with them trying to register it.

Did you try a complete factory reset on the modem with the small pin hole on the back ? Do this while connected to there network and see if it triggers there firmware to install. Press and hold the reset button till all the lights begin to cycle then release.

Did you try a complete factory reset on the modem with the small pin hole on the back ? Do this while connected to there network and see if it triggers there firmware to install. Press and hold the reset button till all the lights begin to cycle then release.
You know as dumb as it sounds I didn't try the physical button, that is a good idea (and probably the first thing I should have tried). Thanks!

I have a Netgear CM600 modem, I used this modem with TWC. I then moved and now have Spectrum. When I try and get the modem activated the Spectrum system cannot see it.

There are two possible reasons I think for this:
1.) TWC flashed firmware on the modem, and this firmware is somehow making it incompatable with Spectrum.
2.) I have internet and phone, and the CM600 is internet only so that is messing it up. We don't use the phones, it was cheaper to get internet bundled with phone.

If it is on their supported device list, they should be able to push the carrier configuration into the modem.

Also have them check the SN and MAC address that they have provisioned for your account profile. It might be a typo there...

Also have them check the SN and MAC address that they have provisioned for your account profile. It might be a typo there.

This info would be impossible to check if as the op stated they can not see the modem on there side.

You should indeed call and verify the CM600 is supported by spectrum it appears it may not be.

Last edited by a moderator:
This info would be impossible to check if as the op stated they can not see the modem on there side.

It's like a provisioning/billing system issue - since OP is on a POTS/Broadband connection - the provisioning system is going to assume that he has a device that can support both services, e.g. the device profile... Since the CM600 is broadband only, and not POTS capable, it's not going to show up in the support agent's dashboard.

Radius/Diameter and AAA platforms are rather particular about this...

TWC/Spectrum - they're merging their provisioning/billing platforms, so there's bound to be a bit of trouble...

Worst case - either OP has to change the modem to a POTS capable modem for dial-tone services (which he is paying for on his account) or change to a different rateplan that supports his current modem.

Up to him...

blame that on your isp and perhaps not the modem , they have obviously set it up so you are forced to use their produce

Well I blame the PUMA6 on intel and Arris. The other I blame on all ISPs and all modem manufacturers for not allowing a user to choose another firmware. End result still the same I have wasted $250 on modems. Rent is $3-5 a month so that's like anywhere from 4 to 6 years worth of renting a modem with zero hassle.

and all modem manufacturers for not allowing a user to choose another firmware.

i dont understand 3rd party firmware isnt a given right , its a development that some end users take on with certain wireless router that are open source

anything with a modem in it cant be used with 3rd party firmware because the modem part of the code is closed source and thus propriety in nature

this is of course to protect their intellectual property and they are in no way forced to disclose this

wireless router manufactures have up until this point been forced to share the coding as way back when the csiro invented wifi and in a huge legal battle forced all router manufactures to abide by the ruling and allow the code to be viewed and modified as none of the manufactures own that intellectual property

It's not that they don't allow third party firmware. It's they don't allow the end user to go back to a recoverable firmware. There is no oh crap that firmware bricked my modem, let me hold this button while I power on to take me back to some clean default firmware. If you are going to give the cable companies complete control of which firmware is on the modem, then allow the user a way to switch back when they switch companies

Well I blame the PUMA6 on intel and Arris. The other I blame on all ISPs and all modem manufacturers for not allowing a user to choose another firmware. End result still the same I have wasted $250 on modems. Rent is $3-5 a month so that's like anywhere from 4 to 6 years worth of renting a modem with zero hassle.
This is why I generally avoid getting my own modem, and in our area Spectrum doesn't allow customer modems, so that may be another factor as well.

You looking to sell either of your modems? I have to get one for another install.

I just switched from DSL to Cable (Comcast) and my research led me to the NetGear CM600 as the modem. During the process of getting the system set up and getting the speed service I paid for (250Mbps/25Mbps), I found out that the cable companies send a profile to the modem which changes affects the number of bonded channels and changes the firmware to get the frequency and SNR appropriate for the speeds the customer purchased. Doing a hard 30:30:30 reset on the modem gets it back to the factory settings and does allow the owner to switch between ISP providers. The CM600 does not support voice and, according to Comcast, will cause major linking problems if the service includes telephony. That is why Comcast does not offer any modems which do not support telephony.

Based on the information from Comcast, I believe the compatibility issues and failure to link come from the fact that the Netgear CM600 does not support telephony on an account with telephony enabled.

If you have not sold/returned your CM600, I would be interested in making an offer for it.

How was the CM600 not activating? Was it syncing to the network? Was it getting a local 10.x.x.x IP on Charter's network? What kind of public IP were you getting from DHCP? There was a problem with CM600 and self actifaction, but that shouldn't effect manual provisioning. It shouldn't be a problem to have your phone modem (I assume you have one) provisioned for phone and the CM600 provisioned for data. Even if it's not provisioned, it still still connect to the Charter network and get a 172.x.x.x IP or something simular, directing you to the self install system. If your seeing that, Charter is seeing the modem. Anyone saying otherwise probably is just looking it up wrong.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!