What's new

Need some help with bridging... I think? New RT-N56U on the way!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mirage_Man

New Around Here
Hello all. First post here. Great site!

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on what I need to do since I'm not all that versed on networking. I have up until now pretty much used Ethernet cabling to connect my equipment save for my smart phone, PS3 and Wii in the family room. However, I would like to go wireless with other components and PCs as well. I would like to eliminate the cabling running across my floors into the family room to the HTPC and HT receiver as well as my wife's PC in the Den. Basically I would like everything wireless except for my rig which is right next to the router.

The current set –up is as follows. I have broken it down to the room the components are in and how they are currently connected.

Everything is being fed at this moment by a Brighthouse cable modem > Buffalo WHR-G54S running DD-WRT. They are located in the den next to my main PC. Based on the reviews found online and here on this site I ordered the Asus RT-N56U to replace the Buffalo Tech router in hopes that it would best work in my system offering the best chance of streaming HD content to my HTPC from my main PC or possibly a networked HD connected to one of the USB ports on the RT-N56U.

Den:
Main PC: Hard wired to router. Will remain that way.
Wife's PC: Currently hard wired but would like wireless. Need a wireless adapter. PC used mainly for internet surfing and Facebook.

Family Room:
HTPC: Currently hard wired but would like wireless. Need wireless adapter or ethernet connection option. Streaming HD content would be nice.
PS3: Currently wireless (internal adapter) Is there a better option?
Wii: Currently wireless (internal adapter) Is there a better option?
HT receiver: Currently hard wired but have to switch wire back and forth between it and HTPC as I have only one cable running into family room. Need ethernet connection.
Blu-ray player: Do not have one yet but plan to. Not sure what type of connection I will use for it?
Panasonic HDTV: Not connected currently but has Ethernet port. Would like to be able to connect it to network via ethernet port.

Garage:
PC: Currently wireless (PCI adapter card) but has poor signal strength. Hopefully it will improve with new router?

Wi-fi for mine and the wife's smart phones. HTC Thunderbolt and Samsung Fascinate.

So my main questions are:

Since there are a mixture of wired and wireless devices in the family room what is the best way to get the fastest wireless signal to each of the family room components? I am confused by the various components like Ethernet Converters, AP’s, Bridges, Switches, WDS, Non-WDS, etc… Is there a "one box" solution or will I need a combination of components to make it happen?

Also what kind of adapter is best for the wife’s PC that lives in the same room as the router? The tower however, is inside a wood computer desk.

That’s all I can think of at the moment and I hope you can follow my rambling. I tried to describe as best I could what I’ have and am trying to achieve.

Thanks for your help!

For you to use all the devices that have no wireless adapter but have Ethernet ports, you need to connect a wireless bridge.

I use a WRT54GL running Tomato (can use DD-WRT too), this connects wireless to a WNR3500L router (running TomatoUSB). I have all my devices around my TV plugged into this (wired), tv/bluray/roku.

This link might help you. http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorial...Tomato-Firmware-for-Wireless-Client-Modes.htm It should be similar for DD-WRT.

Use your older Buffalo WHR-G54S as a wireless bridge in client mode. If you are buying more, think about the ASUS RT-N16, it runs TomatoUSB.

For a desktop PC, get a simple USB adapter Like this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122321

Wired is better than wireless. Use the wireless encryption on all your devices, WPA2.
Using WDS will slow down your network.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The best advice I can give you is to use Ethernet if you're trying to do 1080p HD. Next best is MoCA or HomePlug AV. Wireless is the last thing I would try. Even the best 802.11n gear does not provide high enough stable throughput for one HD stream, let alone multiple.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got the router Friday and finally set it up last night. I have yet to try the wireless to the HTPC or any other client yet but I can tell you this... the wired LAN speed I'm seeing on torrents is much better than what I was getting with the BT router. I'm seeing a solid 1.15M DL rate. I'm pretty sure my ISP throttles torrent traffic (Brighthouse).

At this point I think I may try using the BT as a switch in the family room for the wired clients. Now I just need to figure out how to do that. I think I remember seeing a guide on how to do that somewhere?

I got the router Friday and finally set it up last night. I have yet to try the wireless to the HTPC or any other client yet but I can tell you this... the wired LAN speed I'm seeing on torrents is much better than what I was getting with the BT router. I'm seeing a solid 1.15M DL rate. I'm pretty sure my ISP throttles torrent traffic (Brighthouse).

At this point I think I may try using the BT as a switch in the family room for the wired clients. Now I just need to figure out how to do that. I think I remember seeing a guide on how to do that somewhere?

We do NOT throttle traffic of any kind. If you are having a problem I would be happy to assist with this.

If you want to stream HD I would suggest a higher data tier (faster speed).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!