What's new

Need Some Help With the RP-AC68U Encryption

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf3574

Occasional Visitor
I purchased this product because I needed a way to connect to my WPA2-Enterprise secured router for my isolated entertainment center devices. After receiving the RP-AC68U today I found out that it IS NOT CAPABLE OF ANY ENTERPRISE encryption whatsoever. It doesn't matter which of the 3 modes I place it in (Range Extender, Access Point, Media Bridge), nowhere does Enterprise encryption even show up, just Open System, Shared Key, WPA/WPA2/Auto-Personal. Right now I'm finding this to be a complete waste of both my time and money as there is no documentation and irrefutable evidence that the RP-AC68U is incapable of WPA/WPA2-Enterprise. :mad:

I have upgraded the firmware on my router (RT-AC3200) and this repeater to the most recent versions available and done numerous resets of the repeater. I also spent an hour in chat with ASUS only to have my case escalated to their headquarters (24-48 hour response time typically) because there was nothing they could do.

Please, before anybody suggests "switch over to WPA/WPA2/Auto-Personal and all your problems will go away", I have a wifi hacker in my neighborhood stealing wifi by spoofing MAC address on my network and need the extra security provided by the Enterprise encryption. It's kinda hard to miss a connection from a device that is offline ;).

Any help at all is greatly appreciated at this point. :D

PS - I've also posted the same question over on the ASUS Support Forums.

Last edited:
I purchased this product because I needed a way to connect to my WPA2-Enterprise secured router for my isolated entertainment center devices. After receiving the RP-AC68U today I found out that it IS NOT CAPABLE OF ANY ENTERPRISE encryption whatsoever. It doesn't matter which of the 3 modes I place it in (Range Extender, Access Point, Media Bridge), nowhere does Enterprise encryption even show up, just Open System, Shared Key, WPA/WPA2/Auto-Personal. Right now I'm finding this to be a complete waste of both my time and money as there is no documentation and irrefutable evidence that the RP-AC68U is incapable of WPA/WPA2-Enterprise. :mad:

I have upgraded the firmware on my router (RT-AC3200) and this repeater to the most recent versions available and done numerous resets of the repeater. I also spent an hour in chat with ASUS only to have my case escalated to their headquarters (24-48 hour response time typically) because there was nothing they could do.

Please, before anybody suggests "switch over to WPA/WPA2/Auto-Personal and all your problems will go away", I have a wifi hacker in my neighborhood stealing wifi by spoofing MAC address on my network and need the extra security provided by the Enterprise encryption. It's kinda hard to miss a connection from a device that is offline ;).

Any help at all is greatly appreciated at this point. :D

PS - I've also posted the same question over on the ASUS Support Forums.
So if it doesnt have a repeater mode in the administration setting show does it work as a repeater ?

The unit itself does work as advertised sans the WPA/WPA2-Enterprise encryption and seems to do it fairly well. I actually don't need it to act as a repeater since my RT-AC3200 is plenty strong enough for my home, around 80% signal at the furthest point on an old and weak cellphone inside, so that's just a side benefit of the device. I got it as a way to connect my now isolated media devices in my home entertainment center, I found out after the fact that none of them are capable of enterprise level encryption.

EDIT - Oops, I see that I said that already about the entertainment center, sorry :p

I've attached a screenshot showing the issue

Attachments

• Firefox-NoEnterprise_1.jpg
    Firefox-NoEnterprise_1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 588
So I'm still waiting for a response to my correspondence to Asus on this matter and I have 2 different case numbers and 2 different support people on it, Apollonia S. and Raj B. I'll keep you guys posted on developments as they occur, but the clock is counting down and I have until May 5 to return the repeater to Amazon.

Well I finally got a reply from the ASUS customer loyalty representative two days ago after giving the device one star on Amazon.com. Unfortunately, that's about three weeks to late. I've asked for a refund from Amazon and will be dropping it off at UPS this evening.

Ultimately folks, if you use Enterprise encrypting on your home network, save your time and money and do NOT purchase this device. Despite what ASUS says the technical specifications are, it is incapable of WPA/WPA2-Enterprise encryption at this time. If you use WPA/WPA2-Personal encryption, as most people do, then this device appears to operate as advertise and did maintain a very stable connection with my Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC3200 router in the time that I chose to use it.

Well I finally got a reply from the ASUS customer loyalty representative two days ago after giving the device one star on Amazon.com. Unfortunately, that's about three weeks to late. I've asked for a refund from Amazon and will be dropping it off at UPS this evening.

Ultimately folks, if you use Enterprise encrypting on your home network, save your time and money and do NOT purchase this device. Despite what ASUS says the technical specifications are, it is incapable of WPA/WPA2-Enterprise encryption at this time. If you use WPA/WPA2-Personal encryption, as most people do, then this device appears to operate as advertise and did maintain a very stable connection with my Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC3200 router in the time that I chose to use it.

Wow, I just found that the Asus forums scrubbed my post on this topic without so much as an email to me explaining why.

Wow, I just found that the Asus forums scrubbed my post on this topic without so much as an email to me explaining why

Are you talking about the Asus VIP forums, or here? If it's here, then it was probably just waiting moderator approval because a keyword in it has triggered the automatic spam filter. The post would have been approved since, as it's currently visible.

Sorry, I was very annoyed when I posted, it was the Asus VIP forums. SNB has been pretty good to me, even when I don't get any answers.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk