What's new

Need to extend network cable around 20 feet - Which method should I use? (For PoE access point)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark M

Occasional Visitor
I got extremely lucky and discovered a Cat5e run in basement crawl space originally used for Telephone. Unfortunately on the end I pulled back (was going to outdoor telephone box) is not long enough to go where I need it to go in the crawl space. However, the other end of the line goes to the exact room I need it to go to. The total length of wire is roughly 70Ft. Unfortunately, I'm roughly 20 feet short from where the Battery Backup/ONT/Switch will be. This line will be solely used for a PoE access point (24v ubiquiti NanoHD).

I see three viable options to connect this network cable to the switch/PoE injector.

1) UGREEN RJ45 famale-to-female coupler
2) 20 Feet Ethernet Extender Cable such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHBLRLQ/?tag=snbforums-20
3) PoE injector placed at the point where the wire was cut. From the PoE injector, run a 20 foot extension cord/20 foot network cable to the battery backup/switch respectively.

I'm giving an open mind to this and not set on either of these three options. Which option would you pick?

-Anyone have experience with Option 1? Seems easiest, but I'm nervous as I've read spotty reviews (on Amazon) regarding PoE through couplers. The coupler is rated for PoE, and maybe those people reviewing are not sure what they're doing? (in nicest terms). The couplers have a tiny circuit board in them it seems.
-Is Option 2 better than a coupler? Seems like it could be.
-Option 3 seems cleanest in terms of continuity. Technically there won't be a break in the line considering I will be using a PoE adapter anyway, but now I'd need to buy a 20ft extension cord.

Long story short, a new home run isn't an option.

Thanks for opinions and inputs.

Last edited:
is this an unfinished basement that is climate controlled or is this open to outside air or prone to being damp ?
If it is open to outside air, you should look a moisture barrier type connections to prevent condensation on the connection.
most electronics are designed for conditioned space, not exposed to possible condensation.

is this an unfinished basement that is climate controlled or is this open to outside air or prone to being damp ?
If it is open to outside air, you should look a moisture barrier type connections to prevent condensation on the connection.
most electronics are designed for conditioned space, not exposed to possible condensation.
It is an unfinished basement and not open to outside air. There's actually a huge dehumidifier in there (also a heater that kicks on if it gets too cold). It's probably better humidity controlled then a normal room, haha.

Can you use the existing wire as a " pull string" and run a new single cable?

Can you use the existing wire as a " pull string" and run a new single cable?
I wish, But the previous owner used some sort of insulation foam around the edges in basement. The wire goes through that foam. I tried pulling/wiggling it to no avail

I got extremely lucky and discovered a Cat5e run in basement crawl space originally used for Telephone. Unfortunately on the end I pulled back (was going to outdoor telephone box) is not long enough to go where I need it to go in the crawl space. However, the other end of the line goes to the exact room I need it to go to. The total length of wire is roughly 70Ft. Unfortunately, I'm roughly 20 feet short from where the Battery Backup/ONT/Switch will be. This line will be solely used for a PoE access point (24v ubiquiti NanoHD).

I see three viable options to connect this network cable to the switch/PoE injector.

1) UGREEN RJ45 famale-to-female coupler
2) 20 Feet Ethernet Extender Cable such as: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHBLRLQ/?tag=snbforums-20
3) PoE injector placed at the point where the wire was cut. From the PoE injector, run a 20 foot extension cord/20 foot network cable to the battery backup/switch respectively.

I'm giving an open mind to this and not set on either of these three options. Which option would you pick?

-Anyone have experience with Option 1? Seems easiest, but I'm nervous as I've read spotty reviews (on Amazon) regarding PoE through couplers. The coupler is rated for PoE, and maybe those people reviewing are not sure what they're doing? (in nicest terms). The couplers have a tiny circuit board in them it seems.
-Is Option 2 better than a coupler? Seems like it could be.
-Option 3 seems cleanest in terms of continuity. Technically there won't be a break in the line considering I will be using a PoE adapter anyway, but now I'd need to buy a 20ft extension cord.

Long story short, a new home run isn't an option.

Thanks for opinions and inputs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SMPPC6N/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BZCB7SF/?tag=snbforums-20

Assuming this is a gigabit Ethernet connection. Use the coupler. I use 'em all the time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!